Author Topic: which Parameter is the most important one in the graphics card ?  (Read 1820 times)

July 24, 2013, 03:12:56 pm
HI, I meet the problem “Device/driver does not support hardware shadow maps”,and I also search for the reason,staff Morten:"For simple scenes, you can probably get by with a card that has about 1,500 PassMark points:"
but PassMark points is so abstract and i want to konw which part is the one made the lumion show"Device/driver does not support hardware shadow maps!"
is the number of "shaders" or "pixel fillrate" or something else.  so thank you to tell me :D :D

Re: which Parameter is the most important one in the graphics card ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:11:59 am »
July 25, 2013, 01:11:59 am
Hi oreo

Well, a quick Google search shows the driver idgumd64 is the Intel graphics driver indicating that you are running an onboard integrated card, most likely on a laptop.  

You need to be running a dedicated GPU for Lumion.  You can do this by using NVIDIA Optimus (also similar ATI tool) and specifying Lumion in the application to use, and when Lumion runs then Optimus will switch to the NVIDIA GPU.

Please do a search on the forum for laptop and Optimus for further details.

Let us know how you get on, or if need further info.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:07:41 am »
July 25, 2013, 04:07:41 am
Hi oreo

Well, a quick Google search shows the driver idgumd64 is the Intel graphics driver indicating that you are running an onboard integrated card, most likely on a laptop.  

You need to be running a dedicated GPU for Lumion.  You can do this by using NVIDIA Optimus (also similar ATI tool) and specifying Lumion in the application to use, and when Lumion runs then Optimus will switch to the NVIDIA GPU.

Please do a search on the forum for laptop and Optimus for further details.

Let us know how you get on, or if need further info.
thank peterm,  my lumion can work now
Actually,what i want to know is which part in the GPU influence the lumion message'Device/driver does not support hardware shadow maps" ,is the number of "shaders" or "pixel fillrate" or something else, can you point out it from the gpu-z.so thank `maybe it is difficult for you to answer`  :'(  thanks

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 05:39:21 am »
July 25, 2013, 05:39:21 am
 :)   ::)  Ok I see.

Well it's the drivers for the GPU.

It's not a Lumion message, but a driver message.  Lumion uses (as do most real-time 3D apps) hardware shadow maps, but the GPU does not support it, usually because the card is too old or not implemented in hardware (such as earlier Intel integrated GPU's), and the drivers are not able to implement the required routines asked for by Lumion.

So it's nothing to do with basic features of the card such as number of shaders supported, but the fact the hardware does not handle those types of shader routines.

So you are getting this message when running Lumion via a dedicated GPU?  If so, what are the specs of the GPU and PC you are running?