Author Topic: VIDEO CARD TURNING OFF GTX-750Ti  (Read 4390 times)

markoz305

VIDEO CARD TURNING OFF GTX-750Ti
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:25:03 pm »
June 23, 2015, 07:25:03 pm
Hello I´ve been working on a school project wich is an aquarium with lots of geometry and lights, the skp file is over 300mb, the lumion file is over 700mb. The frame rate is too low but at least i still can work with the model, but when i tried making a video of 10 seconds of a sunstudy  time lapse it starts working but during the rendering the sreen starts to turn black and on again, and finally the video card stops sending video feed and the screen turns standby.
Could it be that the video card is too small for the project? Im considering upgrading to a GTX-970
My pc specs are:
[email protected]
8gb ram
gtx-750Ti-2gb

My 750Ti has a passmark score of 3,691 and the 970 has a score of 8,634 should I spect a 2x performance?

Re: VIDEO CARD TURNING OFF GTX-750Ti
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:39:31 am »
June 24, 2015, 02:39:31 am
Hi markoz305

That's a massive SketchUp file  :o  Even for complex geometry.  Are there some parts or objects within the SketchUp file that can be removed?

Certainly it sounds too complex for the GTX 750 Ti.  But it may be the limitation of 2GB of VRAM for texturing in combination with model complexity and the number of lights.

You can improve frame rates in the editor by reducing the Editor Settings such as Editor Quality and Editor Resolution.

Refer also our Sticky on LUMION 5: How to reduce render times.

1. How many lights are in the scene?
2. What is the 3D Point count:
    2.1  In Build Mode when F1 is used (change back to your other Editor setting after using F1)?
    2.2  In Movie Mode for one of the clips you are trying to render?
3. Which version of Lumion are you using?
4. What Star Quality are you trying to render at?

In some cases for complex and high quality rendering of scenes, 8GB of RAM is not sufficient, and it needs to be 12GB or above.

I don't think you will get a 2X performance improvement.  Although different processors and number of cores, the clock rates are not too different so FPS will improve, but it's hard to say it would be 2x or near that.  Certainly you should see a 'significant' improvement in rendering times.  And, with 4GB VRAM and more cores; better capability to process your scene from a GTX 970.

---------
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the above does not mean that I or Act-3D endorse specific products. We are unable to offer any guarantees regarding the expected performance in Lumion with the above-mentioned hardware, and you cannot hold us liable for any costs or damages incurred if you purchase hardware based on our posts on this forum or via email.

markoz305

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 04:38:01 am »
June 25, 2015, 04:38:01 am
Lights: around 120-135
3D point count: around 14million
Free lumion 5.3
Always use very high quality editor setting and 100% resolution
Trying to render at 4Stars-720p-24fps

DIDNT UNDERSTAND 2.2 QUESTION

(In some cases for complex and high quality rendering of scenes, 8GB of RAM is not sufficient, and it needs to be 12GB or above.) Did you mean 8-12 RAM in VIDEO CARD RAM or SYSTEM RAM?

I might go for a gtx980 you think with that at least i would be able to render the movie? and stop having the screen crash? or could it be because my CPU is barely 5,000 passmark (i7-920)?

I REALLY NEED A RESOLUTION TO COMPLETE MY SCHOOL PROJECT (2 WEEKS TOPS) =( SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE TO FOCUS MY BUDGET (TOP 800DLLS) A REALLY GOOD VIDEO CARD AND KEEP SAME COMPUTER OR GET A BETTER CPU (i7-4790K) AND A MID RANGE VIDEO CARD 960?

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:51 am »
June 25, 2015, 07:56:51 am
Hi markoz305

1. Question 2.2:  how many 3D Points in Movie Mode (top right of screen) for one of your clips.  This figure will be different than in Build Mode as certain Movie effects add to the count.

2. System RAM.

Free lumion 5.3
  you mean Educational Student Edition V5.3 right?

4. And your sure the Ti has 2GB and not 4GB (most were 2 but some models went up to maximum of 4GB)?

The 3D Points and number of lights is not extreme for your 750 Ti (caveat: scene not reviewed first hand).

Most of the work (90%) is done on the GPU for Lumion.  Upgrading a CPU is useful if it is slowing the rest of the system.

So long as the CPU (and RAM) do not bottleneck the data from the GPU then they can be retained.  The current i7 (and RAM) is unlikely to bottleneck the GTX 750 Ti.  But would for a GTX 980.  That means you would not get the absolute maximum benefit from something like a GTX 980.  A complete new system is the only way to achieve that.

A GTX 960 is not that much more of a performance gain over the GTX 750Ti, it's just newer, and only has 2GB of VRAM.

The i7-920 will have an LGA1366 socket, i7-4790K series have different sockets such as LGA1150, so you would also require a new motherboard, which also means new RAM :o:(

5.  Have you followed our suggestions re the Sticky, especially setting the 512 Limit for textures?

If you're keen on upgrading, then, ignoring the other things to help in managing a project, upgrading the card would be the better option of the two you mention.  Ensure your power supply is up to it if you choose to do either option.

-----------
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the above does not mean that I or Act-3D endorse specific products. We are unable to offer any guarantees regarding the expected performance in Lumion with the above-mentioned hardware, and you cannot hold us liable for any costs or damages incurred if you purchase hardware based on our posts on this forum or via email.

markoz305

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:26 am »
June 30, 2015, 09:10:26 am
By now I´ll be upgrading the GPU for a 980gtx with a 750w power suply and another 8gb Ram for a total 16gb.
I hope by thursday i´ll be reciving the components then i´ll post the benchmark and improvement in the fps.
Thanks for everything =)

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:08 am »
June 30, 2015, 10:26:08 am
That sounds good, markoz305 - let us know how you get on :)
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

markoz305

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 02:30:09 am »
July 18, 2015, 02:30:09 am
The new 980 its magnificent =) went from 8000points to 12300points in benchmark and cut over half the rendering time.
My new problem is that I still keep adding some details (cars,trees, etc) to the project and the frame rate is droping to 1FPS, so when Im working if I try to modify new textures it gets slower and at some point pause working, the MICROSOFT TASK MANAGER says that the CPU its at 100% if Lumion its supposed to be a full GPU software why does the CPU gets so stressd?

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 04:13:07 am »
July 18, 2015, 04:13:07 am
Hi markoz305

You are correct in that for most work (about 90%) Lumion uses the GPU, but the CPU is still does work to manage the data between user and GPU, operate the OS etc.  Your CPU (and probably motherboard) is struggling to process the data between the GPU and rest of the system.

The Passmark for your CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz is 4991, which is below the suggested Minimum for a CPU of 6000, refer LUMION 5: Minimum hardware requirements.

As I mentioned earlier, you have a highly complex SketchUp model, so adding more and more entourage will impact on overall ability to work with the scene in Build Mode.

Have you used lower Lumion Settings, such as reducing Editor Quality and Editor Resolution?  Lowering those will help with FPS.  Putting objects in to Layers, and then hiding the layer will also help.

Have you tried rendering, and how did that go with the GTX 980?