Author Topic: [Reported] Sketchup issue  (Read 714 times)

dave23

[Reported] Sketchup issue
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »
October 02, 2017, 02:34:14 pm
I think lumion has a problem importing sketchup files. I have a sketchup file that I made changes to, saved it, exploded it and made it into a component prior to saving yet when I import the sketchup file none of my changes show in lumion, only the way the original sketchup file looked prior to changes. Why is that?

Re: Sketchup issue
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:47:25 pm »
October 02, 2017, 02:47:25 pm
Hi Dave, that's not a known issue.

Just to make sure we're on the same page: If the SketchUp file has been saved with a new name, Lumion does not know that the file name has changed and will continue to re-import the old SKP file - unless you tell it to load the new version.

So, to re-import your updated file, please follow these instructions, and let us know if it they resolve your problem:

Knowledge Base article: How do you re-import a model?
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Re: [Awaiting reply] Sketchup issue
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »
October 02, 2017, 02:49:30 pm
By the way, did you resolve the issue with the crash in your other topic?

If so, please let us know so that we can mark it as 'resolved'. If not, we can help you troubleshoot the problem if you follow the instructions in our reply. ;)

Thanks in advance.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

dave23

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:45:28 pm »
October 02, 2017, 03:45:28 pm
This is an initial insertion of a sketchup file. Renaming does not apply. Try it. Download a sketchup file from the net. Make changes to it. Save it, then insert it in to lumion. Does it look like the original or changed file.
Problem I found on original issue is that lumion cant handle large sketchup files. I reduced the size.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 04:30:22 pm »
October 02, 2017, 04:30:22 pm
This is an initial insertion of a sketchup file. Renaming does not apply. Try it. Download a sketchup file from the net. Make changes to it. Save it, then insert it in to lumion. Does it look like the original or changed file.

Hello again, Dave.

The procedure you described works as expected at my end.

Have a look at this screencapture:
http://recordit.co/rndQN2uAAb

Is this what you're doing? If not, could you install Recordit (http://recordit.co) and show me what you're doing differently?

For good measure, I've also made a screencapture that shows that re-importing a model that was changed and saved again in SketchUp works as expected:
http://recordit.co/t0CtcufT6G

Problem I found on original issue is that lumion cant handle large sketchup files. I reduced the size.

Thanks for letting us know.

Lumion can handle large SketchUp files without problems, provided that your PC configuration meets the requirements for the scene in question. However, if you try to import a very complex SketchUp file on a PC that only just meets the minimum system requirements, it won't work.

As mentioned in my previous reply, we'd like to take a look at your PC configuration and investigate your report. To proceed, please click here and follow the instructions to provide us with the requested information.

Please also follow step 5 in the article to upload the original 100MB model file (.SKP format), so we can try to replicate the crash you reported.

And lastly, please attach a diagnostics report so that we verify that your PC configuration is suitable and that all system updates are installed.

Knowledge Base article: How do you attach a diagnostics report to a post?

Thanks in advance.

dave23

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 06:30:24 pm »
October 02, 2017, 06:30:24 pm
ok, try this one. Flip this model upsidedown which is right side up. Remove the wall surrounding the city. Scale the model up 2x size and save it back as a component. Then insert it in lumion and see if it kept your changes.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/809c028285022519b6b5161efde62bf9/Arabic-City

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 06:41:50 pm »
October 02, 2017, 06:41:50 pm
Hi Dave, thanks for the instructions

I can finally replicate the problem - thanks for persisting! :)

Your report has been forwarded to our Error Tracker, so that the developers can take a look.

What's actually happening is that the model is updated correctly when you save it, but it's just flipped 180 degrees in Lumion.

By the way, this model doesn't look like a "native" SketchUp model, i.e. I wonder if it was exported to SketchUp from a different app. We do not have any reports like this on file, and I'm curious to find out why the model is flipped. Exploding the model doesn't even solve the problem, nor does saving the model under a different .SKP name.

Have you stumbled upon other .SKP models that behave like this? If so, can you provide the link(s) please?

Thanks.

dave23

Re: [Reported] Sketchup issue
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »
October 02, 2017, 08:54:59 pm
There were about a dozen. I would have to hunt them down. Mostly city scenes. How can you tell if they are sketchup natve or not?

dave23

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:06:04 pm »
October 02, 2017, 09:06:04 pm
here is another one. Edit this one, remove a few castles and walls out and save it as a component. Then insert into lumion and see if the changed are there. Let me know what you find.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/58f399c96e04552fde1c31612629d3dc/Persian-City

dave23

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 09:13:43 pm »
October 02, 2017, 09:13:43 pm

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 09:19:06 pm »
October 02, 2017, 09:19:06 pm
Excellent, thanks a lot. :)

dave23

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 03:01:42 pm »
October 03, 2017, 03:01:42 pm
Can you find a work around. I need to get these sketchup models into Lumion.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:08:51 pm »
October 03, 2017, 03:08:51 pm
Sure, I tested the first Arabic city and you literally just need to rotate the model by 180 degrees in Lumion to make it look correct.

Knowledge Base article: How do you change the pitch & bank rotation of an object?

As for the second Arabic city, I removed some of the towers in SketchUp as per your instructions and it imported without a hitch in Lumion.

I haven't imported the Sci-Fi city yet.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »
October 03, 2017, 04:52:14 pm
By the way, which version of Lumion are you using? (This is displayed on the Settings screen)

Lumion 6.5.1 Pro?

dave23

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 07:34:48 pm »
October 03, 2017, 07:34:48 pm
You deleted items out of the second model and they kept the changes in lumion? I downloaded the demo on this site. I think its 7