Author Topic: RESOLVED: GTX 660 vs GTX TITAN vs GTX 980  (Read 1298 times)

[email protected]

RESOLVED: GTX 660 vs GTX TITAN vs GTX 980
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:38:47 pm »
April 16, 2015, 04:38:47 pm
Hi guys. For those who wanted to know if the GTX 980 is superior than the GTX TITAN, even with 4Gb aganist the 6Gb of TITAN, a colegue of mine made a vídeo comparing both of then in the company he work and posted in youtube.

I bring the video to you, so you guys can have a baseline.

In the end the GTX 980 have a 30% higher performance in render than GTX TITAN.

And for those who are in doubt about the GTX 970, you can deduce the result, since the GTX 980 is 20% superior than GTX 970.

So at least, the GTX 970 is equal or superior than TITAN, but ir cost U$ 400,00 aganist U$ 1000,00 from TITAN.

Re: RESOLVED: GTX 660 vs GTX TITAN vs GTX 980
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:18:10 am »
April 17, 2015, 02:18:10 am
Hi [email protected]

Thanks for that interesting test.

Rendering of a scene is one way to help in identifying how well one card performs against another. 

Please confirm that the test was on a GTX Titan, and not a GTX Titan Black.

You will see from the other topic you posted to, GTX 980 or Titan GPU?, that there are other considerations that also need to be taken into account, for example requirements of scene to make use of additional VRAM.

Unfortunately, you are also using different PC's instead of using the same PC and swapping GPU's, so the comparison, although still interesting, is more difficult to judge against correctly.

We are actually more interested in Titan Black, as the Titan is an old model and clearly lacked some of the performance gains of the new GTX 980 architecture.  The most current comparable GPU's in this sort of comparison would be the GTX 980 against the Titan X.  Now if you have one of those, that would be nice to see some render comparisons.  :)

You will need to register your Lumion 5 license key to your forum Account (click here, scroll to the bottom and enter your license number).

[email protected]

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 05:37:23 pm »
April 17, 2015, 05:37:23 pm
Hi Peter,

About the TITAN, it is the standard videocard, not the TITAN or some special edition. The GTX 980 and 660 are also standard models, no Platinum or other special edition.

Also no Overclock was used to. Only Standard configuration.

About the PCs, I'm not sure how much does using a stronger CPU and MainBoard, but I noticed that the system became more stable. The variation between "seconds/frame" was much smaller with a better CPU and mainboard.

About the license, I don't use Lumion 5 Pro, at home I use Lumion Free 3.0, and when I need a better rendering, I ask a friend of mine to render it for me, because he have the Pro 5 in his company.

This test was made at his company. Since there was 3 computers using Lumion there, with different configurations (wich I helped to build), I asked to run a test and recorded it to make it easy to view the diferrences.

If you tell me how to find the license, I can ask him to submit it.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 01:14:06 am »
April 18, 2015, 01:14:06 am
Hi [email protected]

It will be interesting to see how the Titan X and future versions of the GTX 980 go.  I understand that later this year there will be a GTX 980 with 8GB VRAM.

re license,  thanks for the background.  Yes, if you wouldn't mind asking your friend to forward to me the company's license (email me: peterm [at] act-3d.com), that would be great.  It's provided in the email Act-3D send to customers, the email is entitled "Getting Started With Lumion" or one of the upgrade emails.