Author Topic: Replacing Block/Group/Component Content from CAD and SketchUp  (Read 3885 times)

artmalito

Replacing Block/Group/Component Content from CAD and SketchUp
« on: September 14, 2013, 03:57:58 pm »
September 14, 2013, 03:57:58 pm
Is there anyway to replace imported block (CAD) or component (SketchUp) content in Lumion. 

I am a landscape architect and in my past workflow, I have exported CAD to Sketchup and replaced the 2D CAD block with a 3D object in SketchUp and it populates the rest of the blocks in the model with the same 3D object. 

Am I missing how to do this or is it simply not integrated into the program at this point?

Thank you!

Jared G.

Re: Replacing Block/Group/Component Content from CAD and SketchUp
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:00:46 pm »
September 14, 2013, 08:00:46 pm
landscape architect here. there is no way to automatically assign lumion models to sketchup or autocad components. so the old instant forest trick in Sketchup isn't going to work here.

when I have complicated planting plans, I turn the sketchup components into color coded little boxes and use them as planting guides for within lumion. Once I'm done planting in Lumion, I just hide the guides in Sketchup and re-export.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:59:45 am »
September 15, 2013, 02:59:45 am
You can also just hide the placement layout objects in Lumion by using the Invisible Material.

Lumion does have a feature that allows replacement from either the Imported Object Library or the Lumion Library, but that is on an object by object basis only, and not a replacement of components or parts of an object.  This is because each import is considered just the one object and there is no ability to identify sub-objects.  Also, it currently only allows for replacing within each of the library types and not across from say imported objects to Lumion Library objects.

artmalito

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »
September 15, 2013, 04:21:00 pm
Thanks guys.  I am crossing my fingers and hoping that this will be integrated in future updates to add a higher level of efficiency and precision.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:11 am »
September 16, 2013, 09:29:11 am
Thanks for the feedback artmalito.