Nvidia GTX765M not recognzed

Author Topic: Nvidia GTX765M not recognzed  (Read 2303 times)

ivarn001

Nvidia GTX765M not recognzed
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:32 pm »
March 12, 2014, 08:40:32 pm
Hi all,

I bought a new computer with a powerful graphics card (GTX765M) with the intension of running Lumion in a better quality. Unfortunately it seems that either my card is not powerful enough or Lumion is not recognizing it. I believe is the second part of my conclusion.

I am attaching a screen shot I took of the DxDiag along site the benchmark specs. It shows the graphics card as being the IntelHD4600 as the graphics card of use. I tried everything from updating, uninstalling and reinstalling the Nvidia GTX graphics card drivers, bypassing the Optimus switch etc. etc. but with no success.

The GTX has a GPU monitor icon which displays the programs the card is running at the current moment. The interesting part is that the GTX recognizes Lumion when is running while Lumion still shows the IntelHD as its main card.

I am using the latest Lumion 4.0.4

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!!!

Ioannis

Re: Nvidia GTX765M not recognzed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 10:13:38 pm »
March 12, 2014, 10:13:38 pm
Hi Ioannis

Ignore the reference to the Intel card.

The Benchmark uses DirectX to identify the prime graphics card, and as you can see from your DxDiag report DirectX identifies the prime card as the Intel HD.

This is a problem with Windows and DirectX only being able to identify and list the prime card name.  When the Benchmark is run, and Lumion is assigned (using Optimus (for GTX) cards, or Catalyst (for ATI/AMD) cards), then the correct GPU will be running and used for Lumion.  The Benchmark results will be valid.

Unfortunately the GTX 765M is not that powerful for Lumion and only has a Passmark of 2064.  This is just above the minimum recommendations for Lumion, see links below.

The problem is that graphics cards for laptops are designed primarily for power and mobile issues and even though a GTX 760 (closest to 765 series) for desktop has a good Passmark, the mobile cards are significantly reduced in performance/specs.  If you compare the GTX 765M specifications to that of a GTX 760 you will see that the M series is only about 2/3rds that of the desktop.

For using Lumion this means that the type of scenes you can work with will tend to be small and non-complex, see Minimum Specs.  Quality of render will be the same as other GPU's, but the amount of data, scene size and complexity, and especially the speed to complete renders, will not be that great.

If possible I would suggest going back to the supplier and consider a swap or upgrade of the GPU.  For laptops, the really only solution is (minimum) a GTX 770M and preferred the GTX 780M.  More expensive, but not that much especially if you consider the total outlay, and more importantly, the gain from a better performance card.  Even the GTX 780M has only half the Passmark results of a GTX 780, and is more comparable to the GTX 660.

The preference for working with Lumion, for the same $'s, is a desktop with much higher specs and wins over a laptop.  However, some situations and work environments may require a laptop solution.

Refer further:
1.  LUMION 4: Minimum hardware requirements

2.  Lumion Web Site: Specifications

3.  Passmark: Videocard Benchmarks