January 14, 2015, 10:43:26 am
For the type of PC or laptop, the key is to get an idea of the type of projects you will be doing with them, and what sort of complexity is involved in the model and scene. Refer to:
1. LUMION 5: Minimum hardware requirements
. (same for prior versions)
2. Lumion Web Site: Specifications
3. Passmark: Videocard Benchmarks
In regard suggestions for laptops:
1. further to what Morten mentioned, you will need to go to the high end of laptops. That's with either a GTX 970M or GTX980M (or the slightly older GTX versions of GTX780M/880M). Mobile based cards have a lot less performance compared to their desktop equivalent, so only the highest is of any 'real' use.
2. The higher the other specifications, the better, so that performance of the card is not hindered. Such has an i7 at highest CPU rating, large SDD, 16MB RAM or more and fastest speed possible.
3. I am aware of only two main brands that produce gaming based laptops that generally fit the bill. Either the MSI or Dell Alienware. There might be a Samsung that also gets close to the other two for specifications.
The option is, if budgets are OK, to have a powerful desktop that will do the rendering in shortest possible time. And, the laptop suitable to work whilst travelling on scenes, and some rendering as well, or for realtime presentation with clients.
-------------Caveat: these comments are provided only to assist forum members in considering their options for purchasing hardware to use with Lumion. They should in no way be considered as recommendations or qualified advice.