This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: Mirror surface? Frosted glass?  (Read 6908 times)

marvins_dad

Mirror surface? Frosted glass?
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:34:44 pm »
July 25, 2011, 04:34:44 pm
Is there a way to tweak materials to provide reflectiveness to emulate a mirror on a vertical surface?  I have not been successful with my attempts.

Also, trying to figure out how to create a frosted glass material.

Re: Mirror surface? Frosted glass?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »
July 25, 2011, 04:39:55 pm
Is there a way to tweak materials to provide reflectiveness to emulate a mirror on a vertical surface?  I have not been successful with my attempts.

Also, trying to figure out how to create a frosted glass material.

The materials now use a cube map for reflection. You can improve the reflection by adding a reflection control effect in movie mode and placing the reflection capture point directly in the surface. A perfect reflection plane is not possible (yet).

marvins_dad

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »
July 25, 2011, 05:24:27 pm
Do I need to set up the mirror material a certain way to do this?
I have found the Reflection Plane - but don't know how to proceed.  I have clicked on set reflection point, but it doesn't prompt me to do anything.  I click on the box, it highlights then goes back to normal.  Can you walk me through the process?

Also - any help with frosted glass?  I guess I could use glass and adjust the emmissiveness a bit - don't want it to glow though.

RAD

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »
July 25, 2011, 10:11:59 pm
"I have clicked on set reflection point, but it doesn't prompt me to do anything.  I click on the box, it highlights then goes back to normal.  Can you walk me through the process?"

I have had the same issue.  Lumion has never prompted me to do anything after I click the reflection point.  I've never been able to use it.

However.....  the new SP2-B4 seems to work as described below.
I am able to use it now.

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46:37 am »
July 26, 2011, 12:46:37 am
The Reflection Point is set at default to the Camera Position, so just click on Custom Position in the effects panel which will then let you set a new position in the world when you click on the Set Reflection Point.

Here's a long version (attached pdf) of steps covering the effect.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

marvins_dad

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:43:56 pm »
July 27, 2011, 04:43:56 pm
Don't see the attached pdf you are speaking of.

Back to the frosted glass question - is there a way to alter the opacity of a solid material?

Michael Betke

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »
July 27, 2011, 05:07:39 pm
Frosted glass is also essential for my next project because large parts of the facade are done with it.

I have a shader coder at hand who could do it in Leadwerks Engine using refraction shaders as a base but I would like to use Lumion because of the movie easyness.
Pure3d Visualizations Germany - digital essences
Interactive 3D Visualizations for Architects, Serious Games and Simulation Developers
Twitter | 3D Model Shop

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:12:37 am »
July 28, 2011, 12:12:37 am
Don't see the attached pdf you are speaking of.

First attachment, link is just above the picture.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

marvins_dad

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »
July 28, 2011, 06:00:49 pm
I see it now...I must have had a setting not working with the forum, after posting an attachment I now magically can see attachments.

marvins_dad

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:14 pm »
July 28, 2011, 09:31:14 pm
Thanks Peter
Not sure if it will work, but going to run the animation tonight and see if anything changes.