Author Topic: Lumion Viewer  (Read 12389 times)

Re: Lumion Viewer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 06:44:12 am »
March 12, 2014, 06:44:12 am
Also, be warned that lumion does not offer colliders for their real-time visualizations. (Aka invisible walls) So clients viewing the model can get lost pretty easily.

Lumion provides collision - for the terrain so users will not fall through the terrain, but not for other content  :).

As a generalised statement, lack of collision does not in itself result in clients getting lost.  Simple maps provide a better mechanism for guiding and showing where a user is within a scene (not currently part of Lumion) than does collision.  

Unfortunately, collision can also end up being highly frustrating for (some) clients who do not wish to be forced to walk within constrained areas.  Adding collision to other objects can cause further frustration, for example, collision on all interior objects, such as tables, chairs etc  - always getting in the way. They can spend all their time just trying to navigate the scene and loose focus on the visualization aspects.  It's also, in part, why linear formats such as video are still part of the norm.   ;)  
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

s133zy

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:06:12 pm »
March 13, 2014, 01:06:12 pm
I was thinking more like limiting the area the user can be, instead of a mesh-collider.

Just a simple box collider, just to stop clients from wandering into unfinished territory!

I'd just love to have some control over the clients movement.

Unfortunately, collision can also end up being highly frustrating for (some) clients who do not wish to be forced to walk within constrained areas.

You are not forcing anybody! If you are using collisions, then its already been approved by the client. I'm not talking about purposely creating a bad experience for the clients here..

I'm working on a real-time visualization of an airport, and its almost entirely about the interior.
The company I work for would love to constrain the lumion viewers, as the scenes we are working with are ridiculously detailed (30 million polys before optimizing).

We are working with a specific section of the airport, and thus got a huge hole where the sections would match up, we would love to make it impossible to explore the emptiness thats left behind.

Collision should always be an option, in the end the client makes the decision.

It almost seems like you are trying to justify not having this option.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »
March 13, 2014, 02:33:30 pm
Collision should always be an option, in the end the client makes the decision.

It almost seems like you are trying to justify not having this option.

Hi s133zy, the way I see it, we're now discussing two quite different approaches (after you clarified what you needed in your latest post).

Peter is listing the pros and cons of the conventional way to implement collision detection, i.e. on a per-surface basis, and as he rightly points out there are a number of potential downsides, e.g. getting stuck, clients lacking experience with first-person shooter navigation etc. Stairs and glass objects are also special cases which may make it a bit more complicated to implement. The former need to be treated as ramps internally in the engine, and the latter often require manual input from users in case they would want to switch collision on/off on a per glass-surface basis. And lastly, performance is an issue - Lumion would basically have to create a socalled BSP-tree which can take a while to generate, especially if it's a scene with a lot of polygons. Once this is generated, it would only be valid until something moves in the scene.

However, limiting the area that the user can explore in the Lumion Viewer with a box is a different approach altogether, and your example from the airport project helps understand why it's needed. I agree with you that this would be a useful addition to the feature set of Lumion, and from a performance and implementation point of view it's a much better/easier option :)
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

s133zy

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 03:20:20 pm »
March 13, 2014, 03:20:20 pm
I suppose mesh colliders would be quite frustrating without a proper first-person mode, and also not a priority untill said mode is created!

Sorry for hijacking this thread, its just that I rarely see discussion of the lumion viewer here on the non-commercial forum.

All i want is a cage for my clients to play in!

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
March 13, 2014, 03:43:38 pm
All i want is a cage for my clients to play in!

Hehe well said! :-D

Thanks again for the idea.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 04:26:47 am »
March 14, 2014, 04:26:47 am
 :)

Not hijacking, appreciate the feedback and discussion s133zy.  You are welcome to open new topics to discuss.

Use of collision as one method to 'control' the access in the scene is interesting in terms of both how it could be used and the interaction from end-users.  This is important for the future features of the Viewer.

Colliders can be useful in such cases, or maybe some special type of material as a way for developers to easily indicate to Lumion that a scene explorer cannot move through/past this point. There's also bounds and area limiters that do not require direct physics based implementation, but can again be used to constrain user motion.

On the flip side there's also different mechanisms for 'assisting' the user when exploring such as simple portals/jump to points, guides, and location pointers.

Curlyns

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:52 am »
April 11, 2014, 11:51:52 am
I installed Lumion 4.02 Successfully but at the start-up/run it only shows "Viewers mode" in Red, asking that i load a Lumion Scene File. ls4

Please why am I having this issue?

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »
April 11, 2014, 12:27:15 pm
Please see my reply in your original topic.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 05:52:47 am »
September 12, 2014, 05:52:47 am
Painting the walls you want to collide, like when you set the reflections planes, maybe a good idea :) in the case of stairs... well... we need to prepare an inclined plane, assign an invisible material... thats all! Wish list! :D