Author Topic: Lumion takes more than 1 hour to import 188 MB SketchUp Model  (Read 7031 times)

pedrobrown

March 18, 2016, 11:31:21 am
I think something must be wrong. I tried importing a 188 MB SketchUp 2016 file and it took over 1 hour, during which time it showed no information on progress.

Many times my PC showed that Lumion was using all 16 GB and 100% disk but only 15% CPU.

After the import finished Lumion says it has 800 MB free of 4010 MB available, 116,6 million 3D points, 0 plants and 7 FPS.

So I ask you:

1. Is it normal to take over 1 hour to import such model?
2. Is it normal to not show any progress bar?
3. Is something wrong with my build?

Workstation:
MSI Z97 Mini ITX Motherborad;
Intel Core i7 4790;
Zotac GTX 960 AMP! 4GB;
Kingston Hyper X 16GB 1600 MHz;
Sandisk 256 GB SSD; and
LG Full HD Led IPS Monitor.

Re: Lumion takes more than 1 hour to import 188 MB SketchUp Model
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:29 am »
March 18, 2016, 11:33:29 am
Hi pedrobrown, which version of Lumion are you using?
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

pedrobrown

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:04 am »
March 18, 2016, 11:35:04 am
Hi Morten,

I recently installed the trial version 6.0.1.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:31 am »
March 18, 2016, 11:49:31 am
Thanks for the info - please forward your trial license number to [email protected]

Thanks in advance.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

pedrobrown

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:55:57 am »
March 18, 2016, 11:55:57 am
Just did.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 12:20:22 pm »
March 18, 2016, 12:20:22 pm
Perfect, thanks for the prompt reply.

2. Is it normal to not show any progress bar?

Yes, that's normal. The screen might also go white while it's importing.

3. Is something wrong with my build?

No, but the model is pushing it too hard (see below).

1. Is it normal to take over 1 hour to import such model?

A model with 116 million 3D Points is of course huge, even for a GTX 960, and I'm not surprised that it takes so long for Lumion to import it. Lumion will collapse objects that use the same material into a single object to improve performance, and the more objects there are in a scene, the longer this process will take. Lumion also cleans up the model and removes superfluous polygons etc. This can take a while when models contain a lot of details.

The first step is to try to reduce the complexity of your scene before attempting to import it again. By complexity, I'm referring to the 3D Point count, so try to avoid lots of round surfaces (that add a lot of 3D Points), or make them less round if possible. For example, a door handle might be super round and detailed, but the camera will never get close enough to door handles to fully appreciate the amount of detail.

Once you've reduced the complexity sufficiently, you might also want to split up the model into several SKP files as that will also speed up the model import in Lumion.

And lastly, we can also take a look at the SKP file to see if there's any additional advice that might help in this particular scene. If so, please zip + upload it to [email protected] via wetransfer.com (or another file hosting website).

Thanks in advance! :)

pedrobrown

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 01:34:38 pm »
March 18, 2016, 01:34:38 pm
Morten,

Thank you for your reply.

If I bought a GTX 980 Ti or Titan X would it noticeably improve performance or not?

Would Lumion benefit from a SLI or Crossfire setup? Can ir import using render farms? Does it still have the 4 GB GPU memory limit on OS above Windows 7?

pedrobrown

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 01:55:33 pm »
March 18, 2016, 01:55:33 pm
Morten,

Just one more question.

Why does SketchUp open the model in a few seconds and Lumion takes this much?

Is it trying to render something? Couldn't it just show a wire frame of the model and render only scenes that I select?

Is there anything I can tweek on Lumion settings to speed this up?

I'm asking this because sometimes I need to correct a few bugs on the model, like surfaces on top of each other, and when I ask Lumion to update from the source it takes 1 hour each time.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 02:06:56 pm »
March 18, 2016, 02:06:56 pm
Why does SketchUp open the model in a few seconds and Lumion takes this much?

Hello again, Pedro. Please see my previous post:

Lumion will collapse objects that use the same material into a single object to improve performance, and the more objects there are in a scene, the longer this process will take. Lumion also cleans up the model and removes superfluous polygons etc. This can take a while when models contain a lot of details.

Is it trying to render something?

No. It's converting the model.

Is there anything I can tweek on Lumion settings to speed this up?

No, you need to fix this in SketchUp. Please follow the instructions in my previous post.

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 02:13:54 pm »
March 18, 2016, 02:13:54 pm
If I bought a GTX 980 Ti or Titan X would it noticeably improve performance or not?

Model imports are done by the CPU, so it would not import models any faster if you upgraded your graphics card. Large models benefit from more graphics card memory and system memory though, and the faster the card is the better your framerate and render times are. Please see this Knowledge Base article for more information.

Would Lumion benefit from a SLI or Crossfire setup?

Please see this Knowledge Base article for more information.

Can ir import using render farms?

There is no conventional render farm functionality in Lumion. You'd have to purchase multiple licenses if you wanted to render (or import) multiple models concurrently but the workload is not distributed automatically.

Does it still have the 4 GB GPU memory limit on OS above Windows 7?

Yes, please see this Knowledge Base article for more info.

Let us know if you have any other questions :)