This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: [Resolved] Lumion demo does not detect Nvidia GTX980 card ...help!  (Read 7230 times)

mrdcon

Re: Lumion demo does not detect Nvidia GTX980 card ...help!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 08:19:08 pm »
April 07, 2016, 08:19:08 pm
ran scan .... "no intergrity violations". It didn't take very long since it's a brand new machine with nothing on it except the Lumion demo.

I have a project that is due on Monday ... and I'm getting very nervous that I won't have this resoved.

I sure hope you have some other ideas ... I've been checking on line for everything and anything ... :-[

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 08:21:10 pm »
April 07, 2016, 08:21:10 pm
Ok, thanks for confirming this.

There's quite a few search results on Google when I typed in the error message from DXDiag but lots of dead-ends.

At this stage, I don't know if it's caused by DirectX or the graphics card, and in the 7 years that I have worked for Act-3D I have never seen a case like yours. All I can say is that it has got nothing to do with Lumion, so you might have more luck contacting Microsoft and/or Nvidia about this problem. :-\

Did you buy this PC from a shop or did you build it yourself?

In any case, I'm pretty much out of ideas for now. My colleague Peter might have some other things to try when his shift starts in a few hours.

As a last ditch attempt, I suppose you could see what happens if you move the card to the PCIe 2.0 x16 Slot (instead of the 3.0 slot).

It's the one that's marked PCI_E4 on this diagram of your motherboard:

IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

mrdcon

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »
April 07, 2016, 08:33:02 pm
Ok Morten .... you made a heroric effort ...and I thank you very much! ...I owe you a beer.. :)

I bought the assembled system from NEWEGG.

I was on LIVE CHAT with Nvidia for almost 3 hours last night and after exhausting every possible idea, they suggested checking with you (the software developer) . :-[

I'll try switching PCIe slots ..... and if your colleague Peter has any ideas, please have him contact me ....

[email protected]

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 08:41:58 pm »
April 07, 2016, 08:41:58 pm
I bought the assembled system from NEWEGG.
That's good news - this case should be covered by their warranty (assuming they also installed Windows 7 for you).

You should forward the DirectX screenshot below to their support team (and include your other DXDiag screenshot with the error message too). It's not supposed to look like this on a brand new PC. You paid good money for it, so it should work straight out of the box. If you install more software on this PC, you'll notice that it can't run 3D games and CAD software that rely on DirectX. Try to run 3DMark Basic Edition (available at the bottom of this page) to see if my assumption is correct.

I'll try switching PCIe slots
Since you bought the PC from NEWEGG, it's best to leave everything in its place, so you can return it if they can't resolve this problem. You shouldn't have to opt for a slower PCI-Express slot just because of this DirectX error.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

mrdcon

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »
April 07, 2016, 08:47:24 pm
the PCIe slot switch didn't work either.

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »
April 07, 2016, 08:50:05 pm
Sorry, I was still editing the post above so you probably didn't see the latest changes I made.

Just to be on the safe side, since this is a brand new PC: Can you confirm that Windows 7 is up to date and that there are no more updates to be installed?

1) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Update.
2) Check for updates.
3) Install all available updates.
4) After the updates are installed, restart your computer.
5) After the restart repeat the steps above again until no more updates are available.

Then try to run the benchmarking application 3DMark Basic Edition (available at the bottom of this page), just to confirm that your PC can't run other DirectX applications.

If confirmed, a PC that can't run DirectX applications is basically broken and means that NEWEGG either has to repair it at their cost or replace it with a PC that does work.

P.S. Your PC specs are very good, so once this has been fixed I'm sure you'll be very happy with the performance in Lumion.

mrdcon

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 09:01:57 pm »
April 07, 2016, 09:01:57 pm
just a thought .... since I'm running windows 7 pro ... do you think I should install service pack 1?

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 09:22:46 pm »
April 07, 2016, 09:22:46 pm
Definitely, you'll need to update Windows 7 until no more updates are available (as per step 1-5 above).

But don't upgrade to Windows 10. :)

mrdcon

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 09:37:56 pm »
April 07, 2016, 09:37:56 pm
OMG!!!!! THE SERVICE PACK DID IT!!!!!

mrdcon

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 09:41:09 pm »
April 07, 2016, 09:41:09 pm
spoke too soon ...... |:( ..... thought it worked.... it didn't!

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 10:03:51 pm »
April 07, 2016, 10:03:51 pm
Once Windows 7 has no more updates to install, try to run the benchmarking application 3DMark Basic Edition (available at the bottom of this page), just to confirm that your PC can't run other DirectX applications.

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 02:28:29 am »
April 08, 2016, 02:28:29 am
Hi mrdcon

Running short on ideas also  :(.

Apart from running 3DMark, please run some further test tools to see what details about the card and burn-in results you get:

1. GPU-Z: to report on the GPU, attach  screencapture of the Graphics Card tab.

2. Most useful: HWInfo (64 bit).  Summary Report, Video Adaptor Report (save as screencapture or full Report to txt file).

3.  Stress test Furmark.

4.  PassMark PC Performance tool for analysing the whole system.

Have you returned the GTX card back to it's original slot?

In very rare cases, it might be that an onboard switch needs to be set for the graphics card.  In most cases if a graphics card is in one of the PCI slots it will allow the system to auto-switch to the card from any onboard graphics.  That's really something for the suppliers to confirm though.

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:43 am »
April 08, 2016, 10:36:43 am
By the way, your version of DXDiag is quite old (presumably because you haven't fully updated Windows 7 yet).

It might be worth (re-)installing DirectX (if it will let you).

Click here to download the DirectX installer, run it to extract the installation files and then double-click on "DXSETUP.exe" to start the installer.

mrdcon

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2016, 04:57:36 pm »
April 09, 2016, 04:57:36 pm
Finally got it to work! I installed Service Pack 1 and kept installing all of the updates as you suggested. It's all working well now.

Going to spend sometime working with the demo.

Thanks so very much for your patience and effort!  If the program is half as good (which so far is very impressive) as the tech support .... I will most definitely purchase Lumion!

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2016, 09:19:34 pm »
April 09, 2016, 09:19:34 pm
That's great news! Now we know how to resolve this issue the next time someone has this rather unusual problem :)