Lumion 5.0 and Dual GTX 970 Sli (screenshot)

Author Topic: Lumion 5.0 and Dual GTX 970 Sli (screenshot)  (Read 4449 times)

maccord.voluntariado

Lumion 5.0 and Dual GTX 970 Sli (screenshot)
« on: December 17, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »
December 17, 2014, 02:54:36 pm
Hi there,

I'm using Lumion Free, but I'm planning to mount a new computer to use Lumion 5.0 Pro. I read that Lumion doesn't accept SLI or CrossFire, but I saw a user in a community in Facebook post a benchmark screen where Lumion 5.0 recognized his GTX 970 SLI. I asked him to do a test and render a video with the SLI and then again, but with only one videocard, but he didn't answer me yet.

Do you know anything about that? Here is the picture of his benchmark:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10560292_755595657822408_1036371415886299096_o.jpg

One last thing. I'm trying to find out what is the best videocard for Lumion. But I'm seeing lots of weird benchmarks, where excelent video card sometimes appears with low score, but with some users it appears with high scores.

Do you know why that happens?

And does GTX 970 and 980 are superior than Titan in the render?

PS: sorry for the lots of questions, but I'm doing all the possible reaserch before buying the equipment.

Thanks

Re: Lumion 5.0 and Dual GTX 970 Sli (screenshot)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:47:55 am »
December 18, 2014, 01:47:55 am
SLI or Crossfire is not supported in Lumion.  Lumion can only make use of one video card at a time.

The Benchmark reads system details from the DirectX reports.  So it is likely that DirectX is seeing VRAM as the combination of the two cards, expected.  So the 8GB VRAM is 2 times the 4GB VRAM of a GTX 970.

However,  that does not explain why the score is so high.  It looks like a doubling of 15000, which would be an expected score for a GTX 970.  That may be something in how the Benchmark collates scores.

Results can vary depending on the rest of the system, for example if the system has a high-end motherboard and fast RAM.

And does GTX 970 and 980 are superior than Titan in the render?
Assume you are talking about performance and not quality.

Given the same scene rendered on each GPU, you would expect to see something similar (relative performances) to the results at Passmarks.  The Titans however have more VRAM and that suits the use in more complex scenes.

The Lumion Benchmark is a general guide.  It does not test or reflect outcomes of the final rendering of scenes to image/video.  It is useful in terms of comparing one card to another, as is Passmarks, that is the Benchmark indicates better performance for a GTX 980 than a GTX 970.

Refer further:
1.  LUMION 5: Minimum hardware requirements. (same for prior versions)

2.  Lumion Web Site: Specifications.

3.  Passmark: Videocard Benchmarks.

tabibraiyan

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:38:59 am »
January 05, 2015, 07:38:59 am
so which one i should buy? 970 SLI or 980 single? or i have to wait for improvmnt for supporting 970SLI? is there any possibliy to run lumion 5 in 970 SLI?

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:53 am »
January 05, 2015, 08:30:53 am
Hi tabibraiyan

I repeat:
SLI or Crossfire is not supported in Lumion.  Lumion can only make use of one video card at a time.

We have no further information about that 970 SLI Benchmark.  If maccord.voluntariado, or any others know of any other, please let us know.

The developers did some tests of SLI some time ago, but there were a number of technical issues to overcome.  You should only ever make choices about facts you know of now, not some possibility of a future change.

As SLI is not supported, and, if you want to make use of Lumion now, then you should consider the differences between the 970 and the 980.  If you want SLI for other applications, then that may also fit in to your evaluation.

-------------------------
Caveat:  comments here are not to be taken in any form as recommendations or reliances to be placed on staff or Act-3D.