Author Topic: KIDS 2014 COMPETITION THREAD  (Read 2214 times)

Aliki_N

KIDS 2014 COMPETITION THREAD
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »
July 22, 2014, 09:49:12 pm
Hi Lumion Team,

I can't find the kids 2014 competition thread. Is it allowed for kids in a family to participate as a team and register them as Aliki_N kids for example? I would like all my kids to participate in the lumion competition with only one submission. However, they are of different ages. Which age would I have to register if this is acceptable?

Regards,

Alickn

Re: KIDS 2014 COMPETITION THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:23:13 am »
July 23, 2014, 01:23:13 am
Hi Aliki_N

Interesting question, thanks.

There is nothing specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions that prohibit a group. 

However, there are other terms aligned with the Entry and Registration requirements, that, for this competition, require only individuals as the participant.

The other aspect is that groups would need to be judged as group entries and own category of prizes, separate from individual entries.

Maybe if there's a next time, the organisers can look at groups as an option.

Topic moved to forum Guest Section so fully accessible.

Aliki_N

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:56 pm »
July 23, 2014, 02:09:56 pm
Hi Aliki_N

Interesting question, thanks.

There is nothing specifically mentioned in the terms and conditions that prohibit a group. 

However, there are other terms aligned with the Entry and Registration requirements, that, for this competition, require only individuals as the participant.

The other aspect is that groups would need to be judged as group entries and own category of prizes, separate from individual entries.

Maybe if there's a next time, the organisers can look at groups as an option.

Topic moved to forum Guest Section so fully accessible.

Your answer is clear, can I enter only one kid's name and the others to be just acknowledged?

Regards,

Alickn

MaKiPL

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »
July 23, 2014, 04:55:35 pm
Do you think it's fair to other competitors to have to deal with a ONE work made by several people?
Because I think it's not.

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:33 pm »
July 23, 2014, 05:54:33 pm
Your answer is clear, can I enter only one kid's name and the others to be just acknowledged?

You can only enter the name of one of your children on the submission form.

Although the competition rules do not specifically mention entries made by groups of children, I personally don't think it's in the spirit of the competition. The way I interpret it is that the competition is about seeing what a child or a youth can do on their own.

That being said, I can imagine it's a balancing act to figure out a way to let them share the computer if each needs to create an entry of their own.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Aliki_N

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:29 pm »
July 23, 2014, 10:36:29 pm
Do you think it's fair to other competitors to have to deal with a ONE work made by several people?
Because I think it's not.
Hi MakiPL, When this competition was announced, I thought it was going to be great fun for kids to participate in a competition of this magnitude, hence my desire to allow them to participate as a family. Regarding fairness with regard to numbers, I think that is immaterial as architectural competition usually involve team participation. The 2011 Lumion competition is a good example where entrants were either individuals or companies. This shouldn't be any different for as long as the kids involved are of the same age block for which they are entering. Group entries happen all the time against individual entries as seen on reality shows. Does that spell out unfairness, I don't think so.

Regards,

Alickn

vertigo1

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 06:49:22 pm »
July 25, 2014, 06:49:22 pm
It seems logical that your kids would benefit more from the competition if they were to prepare their own individual entries. Otherwise it does seem that you are seeking and edge or advantage that is not readily available to all participants.

Aliki_N

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
September 15, 2014, 04:21:45 pm
1. I have registered both my kids to participate in their age categories. They are both young and do not have their own email addresses. Where do I confirm that they are both registered in their respective ages?

2. Closing date before 21st September 2014: (a)Which time zone do we use? (b) Will videos submitted on the 21st be considered late since your requirement says "before"?

3. Can the videos be sent through dropbox as well or are we restricted to vimeo and youtube. Youtube tends to downscale the resolution of the videos.

Regards,

Aliki_N

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:29:33 am »
September 16, 2014, 03:29:33 am
Hi Aliki_N

1. I have registered both my kids to participate in their age categories. They are both young and do not have their own email addresses. Where do I confirm that they are both registered in their respective ages?

It's OK for them not to have their own email, so long as there is an email that we can use in order to contact them, should that be necessary.

On both the Registration Form and on the Entry Form there is a field for the required Date of Birth.  Based on that information, entrants will be placed in their respective age groups.

2. Closing date before 21st September 2014: (a)Which time zone do we use? (b) Will videos submitted on the 21st be considered late since your requirement says "before"?

(a) time zone: for Act-3D B.V., The Netherlands, UTC +1:00
(b) on or before? Only Before the 21st September.  The wording in the Terms and Conditions Number 5 uses the word "before":
Your entry must be sent in before September 21st 2014.

That means participants must enter and submit their Entry Form before midnight (24:00) 20th September 2014, Act-3D time.  As the form is date stamped when submitted, there will be a clear indication of whether the Entry meets the terms.

Given the nature and significance of this competition, I believe it should be adhered to rigorously. 

If an entrant is uncertain about what time they have up to, they should make use of web sites showing time zones, and Windows Clock.

The earlier the entry, the better  :-D.
Entrants should plan and make sure their final render to MP4 is going to be completed and they have enough time to upload well prior to the closing date and time.

3. Can the videos be sent through dropbox as well or are we restricted to vimeo and youtube. Youtube tends to downscale the resolution of the videos.

Please submit via the social media video sites such as Vimeo and YouTube.  Vimeo does provide for a better resolution quality.  The submission online places all entrants in the same boat.  Judges will be aware of the impact of uploading to such sites.