This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: height maps  (Read 13115 times)

Re: height maps
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 01:46:47 am »
February 23, 2012, 01:46:47 am
Interesting, thanks for all info above.

I used GE couple of times few years back and captured images from portions of the map out to graphics, stiched them, then converted to greyscale, then brought greyscale into modelling tool, so must have a good look at this micordem.

I think Max can read DEM but haven't taken time to see how well.

USG site used to have DEM but have not visited in ages and problem was no easy tools to get that base data (corrected, valid corrected data used to be a real problem otherwise there were holes and messed up meshes resulting) into things and its resolution was still in the km which is only useful for expansive areas, presume in more detail these days.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

BMcIsaac

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 02:01:15 am »
February 23, 2012, 02:01:15 am
corrected, valid corrected data used to be a real problem otherwise there were holes and messed up meshes resulting)

I noticed in microdem, at least with the google earth data, there was a seperate layer used to fill in all the holes. You could have a look at it to see where it was applied. I have no idea if the corrections had an effect on the final mesh. But I guess this is a way to help you identify areas with weak data.

The data I want would be for only 1000x1000 meters but I would like it to be very detailed. Although I haven't tried yet I believe that you can convert cloud point to imagemaps with Microdem...thats what I'm after. 

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 12:16:05 pm »
February 23, 2012, 12:16:05 pm
Last time I checked, the problem with Google Earth is that it uses a dynamic level-of-detail for the terrain, so the terrain will appear at the maximum level of detail when the camera is close.

In other words, if you try to grab the GE terrain mesh in top view, the level-of-detail just isn't that great.

Or is there a way to ensure that the captured geometry is saved at the maximum level-of-detail now?
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Gaieus

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:47 pm »
February 23, 2012, 12:34:47 pm
Unfortunately no (at least in SketchUp). You need to zoom in and if you want a bigger area, keep panning and adding more chunks which you need to stitch together at the end. A painstaking and boring and inaccurate method. There are plugins to help with stitching but you cannot spare all the manual work.
Gai...

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 12:48:06 pm »
February 23, 2012, 12:48:06 pm
Hmm, that's unfortunate but I guess it's a way to protect Google's IP.

Gaieus

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:06:22 pm »
February 23, 2012, 01:06:22 pm
Interestingly, Vue can import GE terrain and as far as I can remember, the way it does is that you define the area you want to work with, it brings it in as detailed as available in GE and the adds a certain area around for background.
Gai...

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »
February 23, 2012, 01:16:22 pm
Are you sure that the imported GE mesh is always the highest available level of detail?

That would be pretty awesome (although the GE license terms & conditions probably prohibit use of the mesh for commercial purposes?).

Gaieus

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »
February 23, 2012, 01:25:26 pm
I am not sure at all - I only read this somewhere.

The license does not prohibit the use of the mesh and imagery (after all, that's what we do in SketchUp, too), only requires that we leave the attribution there (like Google logo and such).

Surely if I want to apply a terrain material to my mesh, it will delete the Google logo however. Maybe some other way of attribution can also be provided. Here are the guide lines and the "permission wizard":
http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html
Gai...

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »
February 23, 2012, 04:52:34 pm
Thanks for clearing that up, Gaieus - I was not aware of this.