Author Topic: GTX 1080 or NVIDIA TITAN X  (Read 2147 times)

pbegley

GTX 1080 or NVIDIA TITAN X
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:55:18 am »
September 14, 2016, 05:55:18 am
I general work on very large models. Probably along the "Ultra" Size as categorized in the FAQ. I am in the process of building a tower for solely rendering. I am looking into the GTX 1080 and the NVIDIA TITAN X. I understand that the NVIDIA TITAN X is benchmarked to be faster, but I am curious if this means it is a better Graphics Card for Lumion. When comparing the two. The GTX 1080 has a much faster clock speed while the NVIDIA TITAN X has more memory. Is either RAM or Clock Speed more crucial to the speed of Lumion? Do you suggest one card or the other?

Re: GTX 1080 or NVIDIA TITAN X
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:20:06 am »
September 14, 2016, 07:20:06 am
Hi pbegley

No recommendations as such, but some comments.

There's two types of speed that are important to Lumion:
1. Speed of screen draws - the FPS. Important when working in a Scene and creating it in Build and the other Modes.
2. Speed of render.  I presume you are more interested in this one?

Memory (VRAM) of the card does not affect speed (unless there is insufficient card memory to store all of the Scene).  But it is important for storing all or as much of the Scene as possible.  So your Ultra type scenes will be better off with more graphics memory.  The Titan X (new - Pascal) has 12GB, GTX 1080 has 8GB.  Although Lumion from v6.5 can make use of System Memory to store part of a Scene, that process is slower, so the more graphics card memory, the better.

A faster clock speed will also have an impact on render times.  But I suspect, not as much impact as the number of cores (processors).  The Titan X (new - Pascal) has 3584 compared to 2560.  Those 1000 extra cores are where Lumion will benefit greatly (caveat: we have no history or examples of the new Titan X to support this at the moment).  It's a shame the Titan X could not be made to run at the same clock speed of the GTX 1080.  The Titan also has better memory bandwidth, but that needs to be properly supported by the rest of the system.

We have a few members here who have now purchased GTX 1080's, but (sadly) we are yet to hear from someone who has got a new Titan X so that we can compare render time performance.

Note to get the best from such high performance cards, you need to also get top of the line, fastest CPU and RAM.  And a motherboard that can support the bandwidth and speeds, along with a good quality 80+ Gold rated power supply of at least 800W to 1000W.

-------------------------------
Disclaimer/Caveat:  these comments are provided only to assist forum members in considering their options for purchasing hardware to use with Lumion.  They should in no way be considered as recommendations or qualified advice.