Author Topic: Graphics card gtx 760?  (Read 5381 times)

mo22

Graphics card gtx 760?
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:00:21 pm »
August 23, 2013, 11:00:21 pm
Hi. According to the Lumion specifications, the recommended graphics card posted in the link: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net  - It displays the g3d passmarks. Does this mean that the higher the passmark the better the rendering performance. I would like to get a gtx 760 but i have been told that since the 760 has a few cuda cores and its keplar (which is good for gaming), it will be weak against many other graphics cards. I have been told that the 660ti which is ranked lower than the 760 will perform better for lumion and the 580 will outperform the 760 in every way. I have also not found anyone posting anything on the gtx760, perhaps this is because it is fairly new? What exactly makes a graphics card superior to another? I have done extensive research but i have not found much. I am adamant on getting the 760 but i am afraid of it not being able to perform well for 3d rendering. I am on a budget so the gtx 680 would be far too expensive.

My other options would be the 7950, and 7970 (which may be out of my price range).

My computer specs:
intel 4770k
16gb ddr3 ram - corsair vengeance pro 1866mhz
asus maximus vi gene
1.5gb wd black caviar
Aerocool psu 750w
Windows 7 ultimate

Re: Graphics card gtx 760?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:59:39 am »
August 24, 2013, 02:59:39 am
Does this mean that the higher the passmark the better the rendering performance.

As a general guide, yes.  However some hardware such as some of the Radeons may report a higher Passmark than an NVIDIA of similar specs (although hard to tell), but do not do quite so well with Lumion, so it is a general guide only. We also try to collect Benchmark results from user PC's, see attached.

Rendering performance is affected by the scene complexity and detail and effects, the GPU, a CPU that does not bottleneck the GPU, and good quality and performance hardware that responds the best to the current demands of the user in real-time and in rendering.

The 660Ti has more cores than the 760, 680 has a lot more.  There are 3 key things for GPU's:
1.  number of cores
2.  amount of VRAM, the more the better to process scenes with more textures or larger textures
3.  bandwidth supported
4.  quality of the brand.

Overclocking will increase GPU performance, that may have (some) direct impact at time of render.

True, GTX 760's are new.

Everything will of course depend on budget, but also consider the marginal cost for the next product up.  It may give greater longer term benefit.  In most cases these are business decisions that reflect your decision to invest in Lumion, the difference may be doing a job just that bit faster, better or more often etc etc.

The 680 is still a good beast, but as its now an older version, I would have thought you might be able to purchase for less than a say 770 or even 760.

In my view the 770 does not have the comparative performance, the 780 is close (bang for buck) in performance to the Titan.

I currently have a GTX660.  It performs fine, but it's an interim GPU.  Lumion never crashes. Render times are render times; they depend on a wide range of factors and there are some things that can directly be managed within Lumion to help with those as well.

Hope to see you soon on the forum, posting great images and video animations made with Lumion.

mo22

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:07:30 am »
August 25, 2013, 02:07:30 am
As a general guide, yes.  However some hardware such as some of the Radeons may report a higher Passmark than an NVIDIA of similar specs (although hard to tell), but do not do quite so well with Lumion, so it is a general guide only. We also try to collect Benchmark results from user PC's, see attached.

Rendering performance is affected by the scene complexity and detail and effects, the GPU, a CPU that does not bottleneck the GPU, and good quality and performance hardware that responds the best to the current demands of the user in real-time and in rendering.

The 660Ti has more cores than the 760, 680 has a lot more.  There are 3 key things for GPU's:
1.  number of cores
2.  amount of VRAM, the more the better to process scenes with more textures or larger textures
3.  quality of the brand.

Overclocking will increase GPU performance, that may have (some) direct impact at time of render.

True, GTX 760's are new.

Everything will of course depend on budget, but also consider the marginal cost for the next product up.  It may give greater longer term benefit.  In most cases these are business decisions that reflect your decision to invest in Lumion, the difference may be doing a job just that bit faster, better or more often etc etc.

The 680 is still a good beast, but as its now an older version, I would have thought you might be able to purchase for less than a say 770 or even 760.

In my view the 770 does not have the comparative performance, the 780 is close (bang for buck) in performance to the Titan.

I currently have a GTX660.  It performs fine, but it's an interim GPU.  Lumion never crashes. Render times are render times; they depend on a wide range of factors and there are some things that can directly be managed within Lumion to help with those as well.

Hope to see you soon on the forum, posting great images and video animations made with Lumion.

1.) I am confused as to why the gtx 660 performs better than the 660ti and the 670. Would you please explain.

2.) Do you have a chart that includes the radeon hd 7970 and 560ti?

mo22

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 03:20:53 am »
August 25, 2013, 03:20:53 am

The 660Ti has more cores than the 760, 680 has a lot more.  There are 3 key things for GPU's:
1.  number of cores
2.  amount of VRAM, the more the better to process scenes with more textures or larger textures
3.  quality of the brand.

You say that the number of cores and the vram are the important factors. I would like to know why the gtx 580 performs so much better than most of the graphics cards with double the cores and more ram? The 580 only has 512 cuda cores and 1.5gb ram whilst the 660ti and 670 both have 1344 cores and 2gb ram?

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:39:56 am »
August 26, 2013, 02:39:56 am
1.) I am confused as to why the gtx 660 performs better than the 660ti and the 670. Would you please explain.

2.) Do you have a chart that includes the radeon hd 7970 and 560ti?

The Benchmark results are based on those we receive from user submitted results running the Lumion Benchmark test scene.  They could tend to vary because of some of the other aspects that also make up the performance of a system and the GPU.  For example the 660 user has a new platform with an i5 but PCI v3 motherboard so the GPU is at least able to access the full performance of PCI v3, the other two are most likely PCI v2 and have different CPU and RAM configs.  

But it also depends on the rest of the makeup of the PC for example: CPU, motherboard, RAM, H/D bandwidth etc, one result for the Ti was 13680, the other 8630 so there is quite a bit of variation.

Attached is the other results collected (from licensed users) who submitted, sorry no 7970, this is prior to Lumion v3.1.1 where some changes were made to the Benchmark.  Note the collection of this information has only been done since the feature for the Benchmark was introduced in release v3.1.0 (late March 2013).  It would be nice if we had a better sample and many more submissions, especially form those using the Free version, but alas they don't seem to  :-\.

You say that the number of cores and the vram are the important factors. I would like to know why the gtx 580 performs so much better than most of the graphics cards with double the cores and more ram? The 580 only has 512 cuda cores and 1.5gb ram whilst the 660ti and 670 both have 1344 cores and 2gb ram?

The 580 definitely seems to perform well.  It might have something to do with the supported Bandwidth (which of course is also important).  The 580 has a better bandwidth than 660 and even 760.  As to exact reasons why this is, then you would need to enquire on NVIDIA forums.  It's interesting to see the NVIDIA performance graph of the boards here.

Passmarks though have the 580 slightly less than the 760.  Perhaps the number of items collected in the stats, as well as all the other things that go to making a good performing PC each have some impact on any of the results.

Note, that GTX tends to perform better with Lumion than AMD/ATI.