Author Topic: GeForce GTX 970?  (Read 5146 times)

A H M E D

GeForce GTX 970?
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:43:06 pm »
November 10, 2014, 04:43:06 pm
Hi guys,
I need a little help  ???
I want to buy a new PC with high performance to use lumion effectively.
As I have seen passmark values I got my eyes on the Gforce GTX 970 (8,791 Passmark)
I'm wondering if I worked on a very large scenes in Lumion, would the 4GB vram of this Graphics Card be enough?
and for other details is it better for Lumion work to buy EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte or Asus?
and finally do you recommend any better Graphics Card with the same range of price?

thanks in advanced
Freelancing premium quality Animations & 3D Renderings (Available)
E-mail: [email protected]
GSM: +90 553 876 9069
Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/ArchAhmedAbdulrahman

Re: GeForce GTX 970?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:53:42 am »
November 11, 2014, 03:53:42 am
Hi arch.ahmed90

Short answer:  how do you define very large scene?  4GB is a lot better than some with either 2 or 3 GB, and most users still have cards in that range.  But still a lot less than the 6GB cards, very large or complex scenes tend to be done with users in this group.  But the 6GB cards are more expensive.

No easy simple answer, sorry.  :-\

Hopefully the following detail will give you more of an understanding so you can relate it to the decision and risk associated with the option of a GTX 970 or some other card.

---------------
re is 4GB enough for very large scenes? 

Unfortunately that's still a bit of an open question :-\  ::).  By very large scenes do you mean big files, large distances, model complexity, many buildings etc?

Available VRAM is about texturing requirements of a project.  Space for textures on the GPU are per uncompressed bitmaps, unless using DDS files.  It's possible to do a rough estimate in some cases where you already have the models and main texturing done.  The GPU also requires VRAM for other rendering processes, so a 'for textures' VRAM is only part of the test.

VRAM really only becomes an issue when the GPU and Lumion are not able to manage the 'texturing' properly via certain options, and the data gets dropped, so rendering can't be fully accomplished. 

More VRAM means more textures can be held in VRAM at one time, ie better for performance.
To put it another way, 6GB gives you 50% more VRAM to play with.

We currently indicate complex scenes be developed with 6GB VRAM cards.  We've seen cases where even that is not enough, on it's own.  But some adjustments in the scene by using some options, have allowed users to complete 'very large scale' projects.

There are options that can be used in Lumion to manage texture demands for the GPU if needed, so more is always better, but not always required  ;).  For example, there are options such as converting to DDS, reducing texture resolution, simplifying models, reducing some of the effects etc.

If not seen, here's a few recent discussions, more about 980's but that also has 4GB VRAM:
1.  todays perfect optimised system for lumion5.
2. GTX 980 or Titan GPU?.
3. Video Card Options.

..and for other details is it better for Lumion work to buy EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte or Asus?

For members to express their view.

What is your price range?
The GTX 980 is another 1000 Passmarks better  :-9.

It's quite possible to save in some areas of the PC so that other parts can be of a higher specification.  For example for the extra for a GTX 980, it might be possible to reduce the CPU but still be fast enough, or less hard-drives, etc etc  :)

-----------------
Caveat:  these comments are provided only to assist forum members in considering their options for purchasing hardware to use with Lumion.  They should in no way be considered as recommendations or qualified advice.

A H M E D

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:48:57 am »
November 11, 2014, 09:48:57 am
Hi Peterm
first of all I want to really thank you for your time and your help I appreciate that a lot.

re is 4GB enough for very large scenes? 

Unfortunately that's still a bit of an open question :-\  ::).  By very large scenes do you mean big files, large distances, model complexity, many buildings etc?
[/i]

re: by very large scenes I meant all of what you had mentioned, very big files with complix models inside on a large distance and got many buildings.  |:(  :'(

What is your price range?
The GTX 980 is another 1000 Passmarks better  :-9.

It's quite possible to save in some areas of the PC so that other parts can be of a higher specification.  For example for the extra for a GTX 980, it might be possible to reduce the CPU but still be fast enough, or less hard-drives, etc etc  :)

[/i]

You are right I should consider this.
I guess the GTX970 or GTX 980 will be a matter of what my boss decide about how much he would spend on a new PC for the office. still he rarely shows up  |:(

I got other question but less important : Is there any motherboards suggested to work properly with the GTX 970 or GTX 980 ? or it's only a matter of the Motherboard to have Pci Express 3.0 ?

Finally I would like to thank you again Peterm for everything :)

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 12:11:23 pm »
November 11, 2014, 12:11:23 pm
Hi

Thanks.

PCI v3 is important, but all new motherboards should be PCI v3 anyway. 

What appears to also be important is how well the motherboard can handle all the data via PCI v3 to the CPU.  It's very difficult to get a clear idea, but the top range motherboards seem to support up to 40 data lanes (so long as CPU does).  What I have seen of posted performance results via Passmarks, is that those setups return the highest results.  I am however, not confident that the 'conclusion' from what I have researched is correct, so if someone else has better information happy to be advised.  :-D

So, a good high performance (gaming) motherboard is worth considering.  Bit like the difference in various chassis in cars, the good ones do make a difference. 

I won't mention what Morten just pointed me towards  }), but if you do a Google search on "Geforce GTX Titan II" then you will see as is always the case, the technology is changing.  When next year, and at what price who knows, but the (supposedly) 12GB of VRAM in that would be good to work with  :-9  :-9 .  That will confuse things even more.

Trouble is it's not possible to always be waiting for the next best thing in technology to arrive and projects need to be undertaken with the best at hand, within the budgets available.

I wish you well with any hardware decisions and purchase.  Apologies for not being specific and simply stating you should go with XYZ.  Six months ago it was easy, the Titan/Black was the only option available.  Now with the new Maxwell series from NVIDIA the 970 or 980 provide another option, but with a risk that the VRAM will not be enough.  If you want to reduce your risk further, then also consider the Titan Black with 6GB.

A H M E D

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:36:59 pm »
November 11, 2014, 08:36:59 pm
Hi
thank you infinitely peterm :)
I have took your advices in mind and have done a small search online and I came with this result for the new PC in the range of 1500-2000$.
if you got something in mind about this choice, please tell me before I get it.

MotherBoard:
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO Intel Z97
Or
GIGABYTE Z97X-Gaming GT Intel Z97

Processor:
Intel Core i7 4790/ 3.6GHz /8MB Cache

Graphics Card:
Asus GTX970 ROG STRIX GDDR5 4GB 256Bit DX12 Nvidia GeForce 

RAM:
GSKILL 8GB (2x4GB) Trident X DDR3 2400MHz CL10 1.65V Dual Kit Ram

Hard Disk:
WD 3.5" 1TB Caviar Blue SATA 3.0 7200Rpm 64MB Cache Harddisk

Power Supply:
ZALMAN ZM850-GVM 80PLUS 850W

If you think that any of these equipments is not good enough for very complex scenes in lumion, I will be grateful to hear your opinion.
Best regards :)
E-mail: arch.ahme[email protected]

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 11:56:17 pm »
November 11, 2014, 11:56:17 pm
Hi

I would suggest 16GB RAM.  We have had a few cases where low RAM, below 12GB can prevent the final video compression phase from completing.

A H M E D

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 05:55:37 am »
November 12, 2014, 05:55:37 am
Got it, thank you very much