This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: Do bump makes work ok in lumion?  (Read 17265 times)

Gaieus

Re: Do bump makes work ok in lumion?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:49:28 pm »
August 18, 2012, 06:49:28 pm
Yes, exactly. In SketchUp, you do not really call the materials "diffuse" as there is only one material so you need not make the difference. But essentially right: the "real colour" version is usually called this way when there are more "maps".

Bumps could be generated with greyscale bump maps, too. Normal maps however (theoretically) can contain more info (if I am not mistaken). There can be other maps as displacement (not in Lumion) or specular maps for various purposes. Lumion only uses the normal maps.
Gai...

Aaron

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »
August 18, 2012, 08:49:39 pm
Gai is right, normalmaps are superior to bumpmaps as long as they are good quality.
Lumion can also use specular maps. You have to put those in the alpha channel of the diffuse map. Don't ask me why. Someone probably figured this way noone would use them and he was right.

dcrosssvpa

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »
August 28, 2012, 09:23:04 pm
Gai is right, normalmaps are superior to bumpmaps as long as they are good quality.
Lumion can also use specular maps. You have to put those in the alpha channel of the diffuse map. Don't ask me why. Someone probably figured this way noone would use them and he was right.

Ok...I'm not so smart I guess...how do I go about combining the specular map with my diffuse map so that Lumion can take advantage of the specular part?  Just send me the paypal account you want me to deposit money into....  :)

Aaron

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »
August 28, 2012, 11:07:10 pm
Maybe this will help...kinda...somewhat..a lill  ::)
I hope so  8)

dcrosssvpa

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »
August 29, 2012, 02:49:44 pm
Thanks Aaron!  Pictures always work for me!  :)  That helps out a lot.  This will go a long way in being able to control a little more of the subtle detail of certain material which should in turn (if I do it right) make things look even more real.

Thanks again for your help!

dcrosssvpa

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »
August 29, 2012, 03:09:46 pm
Figured I'd post a result of my toying around....  :)

The stone at the bottom of the image is a material with just a simple jpg, no bump, no specularity alpha channel.  The top stone is just a simple jpg, with bump, no specularity alpha channel.  The middle stone is a tga map with specularity alpha and bump.  Both materials with reflectivity set are set at the same amount for reflectivity and glossiness.  The results speak for themselves don't you think?  It makes an amazing difference and will be a technique I use for all my materials from here on out.  Thanks again Aaron!  Let me know next time you are in Iowa....I'll buy you a coffee!   ;)