Author Topic: [Answered] Displacement Mapping  (Read 2170 times)

PLinds

[Answered] Displacement Mapping
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »
May 02, 2014, 10:08:56 pm
I'm fairly new to Lumion, with limited texturing experience, but I had a question on displacement mapping.
(I realize it isn't available currently.)

We have a Revit to Lumion workflow, so walls come in as simple geometries. Modeling brick or stone edge returns is not practical, but would be easily done with displacement mapping. I know Lumion is intended to be a simple and fast rendering option, but this would make for considerably less modeling requirements - meaning Revit's basic modeling output would be better utilized.

I understand (generally) the memory concerns associated with displacement, I just wonder if it is being considered for future releases.

It's also likely I'm simply going about things the wrong way, in which case please set me right! Just a little self-conscious about how my wall edge profiles look.

Re: Displacement Mapping
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:20:33 am »
May 03, 2014, 01:20:33 am
Hi PLinds.

I'm not sure displacement mapping is something that is used or would  be useful for corner or edge adjustment, it's a modelling thing.  It works OK for organic models and is applied to whole models.  Not sure it would be something you can add to parts of a model, or work well with edge definition, or provide the possible depth that some stone edging may require

In any case, it's a DirectX11 feature, and not currently supported in Lumion.

For some depth of brick and stone edging, you can add a normalmap of the brick or stone texture in Lumion Standard Materials.

By the way, which version of Lumion are you using?

lamarovsky

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »
June 19, 2014, 07:32:46 pm
It's called tesselation which requires Directx11 and most importanly GPU's that support it,
This technology  is used by many game-engines nowadays
I think it's a worth try investment for lumion3d developement team  8)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:30:43 am »
June 20, 2014, 12:30:43 am
Hi lamarovsky

Thanks for the feedback.  DirectX11 has indeed been requested by users.

janek.kubosek

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:40:12 am »
April 17, 2018, 09:40:12 am
Hello

I am a new co-worker for Lumion Czech team. I am really intereted about PBR mapping and especially dislacement map. I would like to know, If in new version (9 For example) will be this feature available. In my opinion with this function and connection with Poliigon materials Lumion will be the best render on earth.

Sincerely

Janek Kubošek

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 10:18:27 am »
April 17, 2018, 10:18:27 am
Hi Janek, welcome. :)

Unfortunately I can't answer that question as the developers don't comment on what may or may not be implemented in future updates.

New/upcoming features are announced in the official Lumion newsletters, so make sure to subscribe at the bottom of this page.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.