Author Topic: Couple of questions...  (Read 833 times)

cadmonkey33

Couple of questions...
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:27:51 pm »
October 10, 2013, 01:27:51 pm
Hi,
We've just got Lumion, and I'm really liking it so far, but I've got a couple of questions.

I've got some animated vehicles (imported from 3dsmax). When recording a movie, there doesn't seem to be any way to predict where the vehicles will be, it seems completely random. Is there any way to offset the animation so I can make sure a vehicle is in shot at a particular point?

How do you apply a material to a moving object?! Can I pause the animation?

Thanks for any info.

Nat.

Re: Couple of questions...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:02:28 am »
October 11, 2013, 03:02:28 am
Hi

re animated vehicles:
There is no sort of 'offset', pause or control its current frame, for external animations imported.

The vehicles will be in the animation path defined in Max, so import the vehicles at the correct relative position to the other main scene objects such as the buildings.

If the vehicles have been animated in Max along with the buildings as part of an overall scene, then import and place each at the same point in the world in Lumion.  You do this by either:
1.  using the Context --> Transform --> Align feature: see LUMION 3: Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts, or
2.  select an object or objects and using the Edit Properties Pencil tool, enter the position values directly.

For example you might initially place the scenes building at say Lumion world 0,0,0.  Then import a vehicle and just place it anywhere.  Then use either of above to align the vehicle to the buildings, so the vehicles pivot point is the same.

To get the camera view correct for having the vehicles 'in shot' have a look at this recent topic and use reference objects (either from MAx or place in Lumion) being any simple object that can be deleted or made invisible later on: Following an animated object with camera.

re apply a material to moving object: 
It's best (and in this case easier) to apply materials (texture) in the modelling application before importing.  If you then need to set other Lumion material properties, t's possible, but not exactly easy/simple/user friendly.

You can click on the objects icons (when Materials icon is selected) and it will open the Materials Editor.  The trick it to then select the surface to edit or add materials.  This can be done, but hit and miss, if oyu can right click on the surface when the object is moving (position camera in front of path) the surface will highlight, then left click on that highlight and it 'should' show the Materials Selector for editing.

Best of luck on that one  ;)