Author Topic: Anyone know of a way to disable the "Welcome to Sketchup" dialogue box in 2014?  (Read 12170 times)

Jared G.

March 05, 2014, 04:02:16 pm
With the 2014 release, Trimble got rid of the button to hide this page.... Even for Pro users! What a joke!

I use Sketchup alot. I usually have multiple instances going at once, and am opening new ones all the time. Having to go through this  completely useless screen every time is becoming tiresome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hack suggestions welcomed

s133zy

March 06, 2014, 01:57:05 pm
If no one here knows, try asking the subreddit mayhaps?

Envision

March 06, 2014, 09:07:17 pm
Jared,

This is a simple nag to get you to purchase the pro version and simply used by SketchUp to collate the openings, for the 8 hour trial period.

If you have your pro licence then, click on 2014 icon and select run as administrator.

Put in your new licence info in the white box under help > license>authorize, and you should be set to go.

Now you will have the check box to disable the start using skp window.

HTH

Rashad

Jared G.

March 06, 2014, 09:32:50 pm
It really pisses me off that Trimble changed the free version's EULA. Google allowed you to use the free version for commercial work.  I may just stick with 7.1 and 8.

Someone else said it well...

Contrary to what the person in the marketing department may have told you, this will not influence people to purchase pro. If they aren't planning on spending 500 dollars because they don't need the extra features, and/or if they can't afford it, then this dialog box will not be the deciding factor for them. All it will do is bother people, like me, who's needs are satisfied with the free version.

speed777777

March 06, 2014, 11:26:38 pm
as far as i am concerned, 8 is better anyway.

Jared G.

March 06, 2014, 11:59:51 pm
The only thing the trimble versions have going for them is that they crash less on me. 2014 has 15x faster shadows, but that is really the least of my concerns. Geolocation doesn't seem to work on google releases anymore for me, how about you? I've also found that the eraser tool is really buggy and will often not do anything.

Envision

March 07, 2014, 04:52:54 am
The eraser and Geolocation  both work 100% on both my 2013 and 2014 Pro versions. I can't speak for the free version as I prefer to actually back ongoing development of my favorite modeling software .

You don't think the less than 3 cents a day yearly upgrade is worth it? Really?

Admittedly that’s after a one time ($1.65 a day) initial purchase, but surely one wants to support future development . No?

I guess it's hard to pay for something when it has been free in the past. Yet surely these modest fees are easily recouped from designs  that are so easily generated and can often total in the thousands.

IMO Google were mistaken in allowing a free version of SKP  as they had their own agenda to populate Google earth with self made models. It did have the benefit of introducing 3D modeling to the masses – a good thing. It was also certainly abused by all too many professionals receiving paid design work from a free version. So, I really don't see the gripe about Trimble's  change in its EULA. To me it makes perfect sense and one is still free to use the old free versions for professional usage if that is one's preference. Sounds fair to me.

Personally, I wish SketchUp  had a $2,000 price tag. Maybe then it would include some of the better than native plugins already built in and offer real circles, arcs lineweights and full 64 bit support.  :o

I guess I”ll keep dreaming!!

speed777777

March 07, 2014, 05:43:19 am
Geolocation doesn't seem to work on google releases anymore for me, how about you? I've also found that the eraser tool is really buggy and will often not do anything.

these work fine on my FREE 8 still, no issues.

Jared G.

March 07, 2014, 03:27:13 pm
sorry, I wasn't very clear. Geolocation doesn't work in 7&8 for me anymore.

My eraser is buggy in the 2013 and 2014. What happens is I have to pass the eraser tool over a line 2-3 times before it will see it and delete it.

I am accustomed to using Google's EULA. I will not be moving forward with Trimble's Free or Pro versions, which is really unfortunate.

speed777777

March 07, 2014, 03:36:01 pm
i don't have that issue with the eraser tool, but what i do find is that a lot of the time when you click on the one of the icons it does not select the 1st time, i also do not like the look of the new icons. for me 2013/14 is a downgrade

Jared G.

March 07, 2014, 03:55:06 pm
You don't think the less than 3 cents a day yearly upgrade is worth it? Really?

Given that the product was free, and almost all changes to it are completely superfluous, no. Not worth it, at all.

dadiOH

July 20, 2014, 06:30:09 pm
If you really want to get rid of it - and any similar nags/notices, etc, - go get PTFB, install it and set it to start at start up.

It stands for "Push The Freakin' Button" and that is what it does.  It is very small, non-obtrusive and works VERY well.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=ptfb&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&gws_rd=ssl

Manawydan

February 19, 2015, 10:08:11 am
There's a way to do it. Works with 2015 too.
I don't know if it works on PRO so attempt at own peril.

Here's the step-by-step how-to video.

1. Download a free application called resource hacker from here. http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
It's legit. I've been using it for years, there's no spyware, ads or anything like that in it.

2. Run this application as an administrator

EXIT SKETCHUP!!!

3. Open the Sketchup.exe from wherever you've had it installed originally.

4. Search for "startup" to find a control called "Always show on startup".
It should belong to a dialog resource id: 884:1033

5. Right-click on the dialog id and "Delete resource [Dialog 884:1033]"

6. File -> Save
Resource Hacker will have already made a Sketchup_original.exe for just in case.

7. Exit resource hacker.

Enjoy Sketchup without the annoying welcome screen.

BMcIsaac

February 19, 2015, 11:28:48 am
I may just stick with 7.1 and 8.

My SU8 pro was hacked by either Trimble, Google or Sketchucation. After a 30 minute visit and some browsing on those sites my code trapper captured a snippet that disabled part of SU's image mapping and import capability . I was basically kicked out of SU8 and forced to upgrade. No other solution was offered. In fact everybody was pretty smugg about it all. My feeling is it was probably Google since they have the most experienced System Programmers (hackers). Maybe something to do with the separating of the products "Google Earth and Sketchup". Never the less, if you want to keep 8 then don't hang around those places.

B2Pi

November 11, 2016, 09:20:11 pm
There's a way to do it. Works with 2015 too.
[ snip ]
Enjoy Sketchup without the annoying welcome screen.

And it still works with 2017...