Author Topic: Anybody tried Lumion on "MSI GT72 DOMINATOR PRO-208" Laptop or "Asus ROG751jy"?  (Read 870 times)

ArchLeo

September 04, 2015, 12:51:52 am
Hi All,
I know that Lumion needs a graphics card with high  passmark and VRam, and I'm considering to use Lumion on the MSI GT72 DOMINATOR PRO-208 that comes with the GTX980M, or ROG751Jy that comes with the same graphics card but less of vram.
I'm looking for anyone who had experienced using Lumion on any of these laptops, just to be sure that everything will work fine when I want to use Lumion on any of them.
Your help is appreciated, and thanks in advanced.

September 04, 2015, 02:49:03 am
Hi ArchLeo

I can tell you that Lumion works great on an MSI GT60 with a GTX 780M and it has 4GB of VRAM.  So anything newer should be even better (faster), provided that the hardware meets our minimum system requirements.

I'll raise the question about considering options of desktop or laptop, given there is a significant performance gain in the desktop for same cost.

ArchLeo

September 04, 2015, 11:23:00 am
Thank you Peterm, I can't use a desktop these days cuz I travel a lot, that's why I'm considering to use Lumion on a laptop when I travel.  Is the experience of using Lumion on  GT60 any close to that on a desktop with good hardware? Or you can feel a bit of difference?

September 04, 2015, 12:02:53 pm
Hi ArchLeo

I am not in a situation where I have access to a comparable desktop GTX 780 to compare. 

I can say though, that laptop PC's because they have graphics cards designed for the mobile environment (mostly power requirement constraints) are generally about 30 to 40 percent less powerful than their counterpart desktop.

Have a look at the Passmarks for various laptops such as the 980M (6247), and compare that to the desktop 980 (9719).

Unfortunately it's the way it is with hardware.  However, as you are buying in to the current hardware release series, you are getting access to the fastest mobile devices in the GTX 980M's.  If you need mobility, then you need mobility.

What is also important is that the laptop meets the needs of the types of scenes you are going to be using it for.

If not done so, please also refer to our guides on hardware:
1.  LUMION 5: Minimum hardware requirements.

2.  Lumion Web Site: Specifications.

3.  Passmark: Videocard Benchmarks.

also:
Web site Guide: Hardware for Lumion.

-------------------------
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the above does not mean that I or Act-3D endorse specific products. We are unable to offer any guarantees regarding the expected performance in Lumion with the above-mentioned hardware, and you cannot hold us liable for any costs or damages incurred if you purchase hardware based on our posts on this forum or via email.

ArchLeo

September 04, 2015, 04:17:27 pm
Thank you Peterm for your response and the information, I'll assume that either of them will be fine for me as specs..:)
However, If there is anyone here who had a chance to use Lumion on any of these very laptops, then I'll really appreciate it if they take the time to mention if there's anything one should know before buying them, whether it's something positive or negative. Thanks.I

September 04, 2015, 11:44:35 pm
Your welcome.

We would also be interested to hear from others, or with similar range of laptop (GTX 960M, GTX 970M), or the 8 series.