Author Topic: About 360 panoramas outputs  (Read 7363 times)

MrWip

About 360 panoramas outputs
« on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:21 pm »
April 15, 2016, 07:19:21 pm
Hi,

My clients are asking me more and more for 360 panoramas / spherical images, which takes a lot of time to render with classical renderer.

I've seen that the latest version of Lumion is able to render this kind of images, and it could decide me to buy your software ! 

I'm just wondering, because it's not precised, the exact kind of output available : is it only cubics, or also spherical, and what kind of file format are used (png / jpeg / tiff ... or something else ?)

Thanks !

Re: About 360 panoramas outputs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:48 pm »
April 15, 2016, 08:06:48 pm
Hi MrWip, in Lumion 6.3, you can render static panoramas for the Oculus Rift headset or the Samsung GearVR headset.

If you select the LumionVR output option in MyLumion mode, Lumion will render a static panorama in an LVR file. This file can be opened in the LumionVR application which is our new stereoscopic panorama viewer for the Oculus Rift headset.

If you select the GearVR output option in MyLumion mode, Lumion will render a static panorama in a JPG file. The JPG file contains two sets of horizontally aligned sides of cubes, one set for each eye. The JPG file must be transferred manually to a Samsung phone that's attached to the Samsung GearVR headset. Click here to see how to transfer GearVR JPG files from Lumion to a compatible Samsung phone. The Samsung GearVR “Consumer Edition” headset is compatible with Galaxy S7 | S7 edge, Note5, S6 and S6 edge.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

MrWip

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:35:46 pm »
April 15, 2016, 08:35:46 pm
Thank you Morten for the quick and precise answer !

By the way, do you know if there is any solution to read theses cubemaps on other phones than a samsung (android in general or ios ) ?

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:03:34 pm »
April 15, 2016, 09:03:34 pm
The GearVR JPG can be used for all sorts of other purposes but you often need to re-organise the sides of the cubes on the JPG (e.g. via a recorded Action in Adobe Photoshop).

In the commercial users' forum (which is hidden from you until you register a Lumion license), some of our users have used the stereoscopic GearVR JPG file in a variety of 3rd party software (for example IrisVR) to generate a 3D (stereoscopic) panorama for Google Cardboard.

It's also possible to use a stereoscopic or non-stereoscopic GearVR JPG file with software such as InsiteVR to generate a 2D or 3D (stereoscopic) panorama for internet browsers, phones and Samsung GearVR ( to see a tutorial video for the Lumion-to-InsiteVR procedure).

And lastly, there's of course also the regular non-stereoscopic MyLumion panoramas. They work on a variety of devices including Macs, PCs, phones and tablets and you can click here to see how it works as well as a few examples.

Regarding the VR output formats in Lumion, I should mention that we have only tested Oculus Rift and Samsung GearVR headsets, so we can't claim that any other applications are supported, but as you can see above our users obviously test all sorts of apps and combinations :)

If you'd like to test the panorama functionality, you're welcome to request a fully functional 7-day Trial version of Lumion Pro 6.3 via your local Lumion reseller.

Feel free to share your results! :)
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

MrWip

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »
April 17, 2016, 06:38:14 pm
Thank you morten, I will check that !

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 04:11:56 pm »
April 26, 2016, 04:11:56 pm
Hi reddevil57, your question was moved to its own thread on the commercial users' forum.