This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: A few questions....  (Read 12918 times)

Re: A few questions....
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:16 pm »
February 23, 2012, 06:49:16 pm
You need to use the Landscape material in the Custom tab of the Material library. This is the same material as is being used by the native Lumion terrain. Just make sure you use the latest version of Lumion (2.1 Build 3, not v2.0):
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

newman

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 06:51:05 am »
February 24, 2012, 06:51:05 am
Thank you Morton. As i used old version of L, a scale of custom landscape material was incorrect, so i thought i can find the same but scalable texture in ground menu. So it was my big mistake although IMHO presence of scalable landscape materials in the ground menu could be very useful.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:23 am »
February 24, 2012, 10:55:23 am
Yes, good point - the native Lumion terrain materials ought to be included in the Ground category of the Material Library.

That way it would be possible to use the materials that are otherwise locked in the 4 + 1 terrain material sets, for example, the snow materials.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

almunro

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:18 pm »
March 04, 2012, 02:02:18 pm
I have found a workaround for texturing the different elements of the terrain. Try thinking of it as a model of a building or such, and split the terrain mesh into different elements such as fairway, rough, green etc etc. I did this by using shapemerge (cookie cutter) in 3ds max with the element splines from autocad. You have to clone the initial shapemerge object and redo with the different shapes to get the separate elements.

As long as you use a different id colour for each element (same elements as fairways have same colour id) it imports as a separate surface and therefore you can assign any material to them.

In this image you can see that the bunker on the left has the same id colour as the tees on the right, and so they would all be the 'same' object to Lumion, but i changed the colours and was able to assign different materials.

This may be a technique people are already familiar with but i havent seen it mentioned anywhere else. This creates sharp edges between the materials, which i know some people dont like, but if you have ever seen a properly manicured golf course it is actually how they look. If you apply the landscape material to the 'rough' area, you then can paint in the sandy/rocky areas.

Alex

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:28 pm »
March 05, 2012, 12:03:28 pm
Good to hear that you don't need soft transitions/blending - that makes the task a lot easier - and thanks for sharing your tips.