Author Topic: [Answered] What’s are best laptops to run lumion 8.0 + in?  (Read 132 times)

Cuttsrender

May 17, 2019, 10:53:51 pm
Thinking about buying this laptop for lumion, i’ll be using revit as the modelling tool.

Laptop will need to be able to produce walkthroughs and quite high quality renders of mainly small projects only.

What you think?

Re: What’s are best laptops to run lumion 8.0 + in?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 12:12:27 am »
May 18, 2019, 12:12:27 am
Hi Cuttsrender

That looks fine.  The GTX 1080 is still one of the high-performance cards with plenty of Passmarks (over 10000).  And the CPU meets the clock rate requirements to support high-performance graphics cards.

If your
..of mainly small projects only
fits into the Scene complexity categories as in our Knowledge Base article:  What kind of computer does Lumion need?, then it sounds like a good option.

Also see our Knowledge Base article:  Which laptop PCs do you recommend? and our Blog Lumion Hardware 101: Minimum and recommended requirements for faster 3D rendering performance.

Do you have Lumion V8?
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Cuttsrender

Re: [Answered] What’s are best laptops to run lumion 8.0 + in?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 08:26:14 am »
May 18, 2019, 08:26:14 am
Had 8 at work but moving to a new practice so thinking about buying the software myself.

Just need to make sure that it can run really well, maybe even for jobs a little bigger.

I’ll have a look on them links thank you.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 09:02:45 am »
May 18, 2019, 09:02:45 am
OK.  Yes, the GTX 1080 is a good card.  I have one myself.

Of course, there are now laptops and desktops with the new RTX series, but there would be a price difference.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.
IMPORTANT: Please do not send private messages and emails to members of staff - unless we specifically ask you to send us sensitive information, for example License Keys.

Cuttsrender

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 02:55:37 pm »
May 18, 2019, 02:55:37 pm
Is this a better laptop then? I think it is, might be able to upgrade memory too

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 12:26:57 am »
May 19, 2019, 12:26:57 am
Hi

It looks like the Alienware 17 R4-7352SLV-PUS graphics card is a full-sized GTX 1080.  That is, it is not one with Max-Q.  So it's PassMark is 12450.  The Max-Q is about 200 less than that.  So the laptop is a serious powerhouse.

Here's a roundup comparison:
1. The CPU in either are suitable and above 4.0 GHz so support the graphics card.
2. The RTX 2070 has a Passmark of 10977 to 14376.  I can be more specific as you don't indicate what the Dell model of the laptop is.  So as a guess, they are much the same.
3. The RTX base laptop has 16GB of RAM compared to the Alienware of 32GB.  32GB is good.
4. The Alienware display supports a higher resolution.
5. The SSF is bigger in the Alienware.

Seems to me the Alienware is the better of the two based on the information provided. 

Either would be suitable for working with Lumion and "small projects".  Again, we don't know how complex your "small projects" might be.  Follow the link in our article What kind of computer does Lumion need? mentioned earlier to the article Which graphics card do you need?.

I hope that helps with the decision.  But please also check out some of the online reviews of the laptops you are looking at by searching with Google.  Laptopmag is usually a good review source.

----------------
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the above does not mean that I or Act-3D endorse specific products. We are unable to offer any guarantees regarding the expected performance in Lumion with the above-mentioned hardware, and you cannot hold us liable for any costs or damages incurred if you purchase hardware based on our posts on this forum or via email.

Cuttsrender

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 08:26:44 am »
May 19, 2019, 08:26:44 am
The projects would fit into the ‘very complex scenes’ and smaller.

I’m looking at the alienware 17 R5, alienware M17 and alienware area 51.

All seem to go up to RTX 2070? Out of all 3 of them laptops, would it be possible for you to advise on which would be better and which specification i’d need in order to comfortably run very complex jobs? Most will be smaller than that but be a shame to turn down a job because laptop can’t handle it

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 09:33:09 am »
May 19, 2019, 09:33:09 am
Hi Cuttsrender

Here's what I see when Googling those hardware options and the links to Dell:

alienware 17 R5: laptop, only 2 variations; 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H, Windows 10 Home 64bit English, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 (OC Ready), 16GB, DDR4, 2400MHz; up to 32GB, 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD Class 40 + 1TB 7200RPM HDD

alienware M17:  laptop, various configurations up to; 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H
Windows 10 Home 64bit, NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 8GB GDDR6 with Max-Q Design, 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz, 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

alienware area 51: desktop, various configurations, up to: Intel® Core™ i9 7960X, Windows 10 Home 64bit English, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (OC Ready), 64GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2666MHz, 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

In our article on the graphics card for that level of complexity we talk about a GTX 1060, however, that is the absolute minimum.  so a GTX 1070/RTX 2070 is that much better,  but mainly in rendering speed.

You generally should always err on the cautious side and then any benefits of having more horsepower from the hardware for lessor Scene requirements, the better.

The performance gain you get from the Ti series when rendering is quite significant.  But everything of course also depends on your budget.

So for a requirement to do ‘very complex scenes’, then I would suggest at least a GTX 1080/RTX 2080, and preferably a GTX 1080 Ti/RTX 2080 Ti.  And with at least 32GB of RAM.

Also see our Knowledge Base article:  Which laptop PCs do you recommend? and our Blog Lumion Hardware 101: Minimum and recommended requirements for faster 3D rendering performance.

If you are now considering desktops, then that opens up a whole new set of options for you.  So the decision first needs to center around whether mobility/luggable mobility is more important than horsepower.  The benefit from a desktop is generally better performance and flexibility, plus they also tend to have more performance per $ spent.  If you find a comparable laptop, that is, one that is a full GTX/RTX graphics card and not the Max-Q or lesser configuration, then the two options are much the same in terms of performance.

Never an easy decision to work through with the options available.  But, again, see our articles and Blog, and in summary my suggestion above.

I hope that helps.

Cuttsrender

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:15 am »
May 20, 2019, 08:15:15 am
I thought the area 51 was a laptop? That’s the one i was thinking of getting.. budget is 2-3k.

This laptop attached? I also read about dell laptops not having a great power supply, is this still correct?

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 09:01:06 am »
May 20, 2019, 09:01:06 am
Ah OK, that's the "m" which is a mobile/laptop.

The power issue: you mean in our note about Dell/HP in Which power supply do you need??  That was confined to some desktop models.

Again, please check some of the laptop review web sites to get the full details about the laptop you might want to purchase so you are more fully informed.

So that is an RTX 2070, so that meets and is better than minimum specifications.  It is probably the 'mobile' graphics and not the Max-Q one as Dell does not say, but there is only a small amount of difference between those two.  In which case its Passmark is 10977.  But as I mentioned
So for a requirement to do ‘very complex scenes’, then I would suggest at least a GTX 1080/RTX 2080, and preferably a GTX 1080 Ti/RTX 2080 Ti.  And with at least 32GB of RAM.
  Ti based cards are not available on laptops (sadly, and as yet due to power and heat requirements).  In other words, if you
.. err on the cautious side and then any benefits of having more horsepower from the hardware for lessor Scene requirements, the better.

Perhaps a toss-up between the Alienware M17 with RTX 2080 depending on final configuration cost at the higher safe end, and the Alienware Area-51M with RTX 2070 at lower end.

Cuttsrender

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 07:23:01 pm »
May 20, 2019, 07:23:01 pm
My Pc at work has i7 4.2Ghz, 32Gb memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 and SSD 500Gb with 1TB and runs fairly large projects well so comparing that to the laptops i think either of the two you mentioned should be okay...

Thank you for the fast replies, i just wanted to make sure that i wasn’t buying a laptop only to find that it’s no good for what i need  :)

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08:38 pm »
May 20, 2019, 08:08:38 pm
You're welcome on behalf of Peter