This forum is now closed.
Please join us at the new Lumion Community forum.
Lumion Community
Use your email address and password from the old forum to log in if your account was created before Feb 20 2020.
Otherwise, you will need to create a new Lumion Account at the new forum.

Author Topic: Lumion update 2 preview  (Read 37497 times)

Pete Stoppel

Re: Lumion update 2 preview
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 02:41:06 am »
June 03, 2011, 02:41:06 am
Whatever works best for y'all.

Unfortunately no matter how great you make the mouse trap, the mice get wiser.

Gaieus

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 10:45:21 am »
June 03, 2011, 10:45:21 am
Oh yes. As a forum admin, I can also tell that there are people who share things like that (continuous banning when learning about it).
 :-r
I've even seen full forums specialized on this (if any Lumion staff member wants a link, I can PM but certainly will not post in public).
Gai...

Thomas

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 07:48:41 pm »
June 04, 2011, 07:48:41 pm
I dont have a problem buying a prog, but i change hardware and computer very often and I damn hate all the programs with internet activation, cause they always tell you ur license has already been used and U have to write emails why you have to reinstall, this may not be a big problem with one prog, but the software companies we use, changed all to internet activation and I have to activate around 20 progs on my computer. When we reinstall or upgrade the office, i have to activate about 100 progs and that realy sucks...
Why should people stop working with cracked software, if working with it is much more comfortable then working with the legal one?...

tug

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 09:34:47 pm »
June 04, 2011, 09:34:47 pm
Hi Thomas

I'm agree with your post. We use many programs and also is usual the hardware's change and what it means... a lot of time activating via email and justify why we opt to change the hardware.

I'm only afraid with the possiblity of loosing the dongle, I fly into several countries and take with me the dongle, always I'm afraid it in one of theses trips someone stole me or loose the it.

Gaieus

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »
June 05, 2011, 12:15:51 pm
By the way; what happens if someone loses the dongle? Or it is stolen? Or destroyed (say) in a fire or  car accident or anything? Or stops working due to some severe hardware crash (when my machine gets thunderstruck)?

It is very handy as a real "floating license" (if I am using the term correctly) but on the other hand, it is also risky. A "normal" license key is less comfortable when you want to work on different computers but as a "virtual" license, it is also indestructible.
Gai...

RAD

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 02:26:57 pm »
June 05, 2011, 02:26:57 pm
Very true.
Often wondered what would happen if I accidentally broke the dongle - tuff luck?
Would not be the first USB device I broke toting it from one place to the other.

tug

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
June 05, 2011, 03:35:36 pm
this is something to ask for Lumion team

See3D.be

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:17 pm »
June 05, 2011, 06:39:17 pm
If the dongle is broken; then you can ask a new one, if you can send the broken one back ofcourse...
Lumion, Quest3D and SketchUp reseller, training and support.

EarthMover

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »
June 05, 2011, 08:02:06 pm
I haven't heard any real complaints about the dongle authorization system in place now.  I doubt trying to move into online license server activation is about adding another level of security against piracy or convenience, as it is about connecting the user base to the online "store".

As my studio rig is offline, it sounds like it's going to be a real hoop jump to upgrade and (begrudgingly) buy the plugins I need. 

Honestly, it seems the dongle method has done a good job of keeping Lumion piracy at bay.  With the new authorization system, I'd give it a week before it's cracked an all over the web for free and every unscrupulous joker will be putting out lumion renders, thus tremendously lowering the market value for the program by the user base who has paid for the development to date.  I don't tend to worry as much about other programs I own, like 3ds Max, to be cracked and distributed, as they are complex programs and 95% of the people who pirate them will never put in the hundreds of hours required to learn them and put out high quality work.  Lumion is a different story.  It's so easy to use that it's quite easy to see the market flooded with lumion animations made on cracked versions, which will reduce the novelty and appeal in the marketplace for legitimate users.  As developers, your only protection of your user bases investment is on the front end security.  I think we are just worried about the new online methods looking out for the best interest of you the developer, as opposed to us the consumer.  Just saying.

Ferry

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:32 pm »
June 06, 2011, 03:45:32 pm
The dongle protection isn't harder to crack than the new system. The main system is very forgiving if you format your drive and you re-install your program will be autoactivated.

We don't change from dongle to this to have more security but to enable extra features for us and lessen the burden of the education edition. The dongle costs us 35 euro PER dongle and that makes it impossible to create a cheap student version.

The new system just needs you to be online once. Then it will stay active. If you do have an internet connection it will check at startup though. But if it fails it will still work if it worked before.

If you break the dongle you get a new one but if you loose it then you loose Lumion! We don't like this system because of that reason. And the fact the current dongle installs a JAVA client also is a big disadvantage.

We know protection is always a burden. Remember that we are not protecting agains chinese students who can spend all there time cracking our software. The protection is so that legitimate companies have a solid license program. In the past with Quest3D we had a key that just activated. Many legit companies just installed that key everywhere. then asking us how many licenses they have. So the main goal for our system is to enable you to use Lumion how we intend without to much burden on that protection.

For most the new system is better but probably not for all. I hope you can still forgive this annoying problem.

fee2o

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 12:38:35 am »
June 08, 2011, 12:38:35 am
i want to be a Licensed user ihave the full version of lumion 1 and i want to be able to download the updates

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 07:02:00 pm »
June 08, 2011, 07:02:00 pm
Hi, you can send me a pm with your license code or you can wait for SP2. SP2 is just around the corner and you should receive a code by email shortly which allows you to download and activate Service Pack 2. The licensed status and download section will be replaced by a new website section which displays all the files you can download, a new profile and some plug-ins you can add to Lumion. If everything goes well the release will be this week. We already have a test build which just has to go trough some final checks.

RAD

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 07:39:26 pm »
June 08, 2011, 07:39:26 pm
Woot Woot.  You da man Remko!

Brian Hengelsberg

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »
June 08, 2011, 08:15:09 pm
Awesome news Remko...we are excited!!!

FabioHFernandes